Law School Discussion

Boston schools

Boston schools
« on: January 08, 2006, 04:13:06 PM »
I know BU vs. BC has come up a few times on this board but does anyone have any advice/guidance about choosing between them?  Looking over their stats and viewbooks it seems like there aren't a lot of substantive differences.  BU seems to be a bit better with financial aid.  I'm particularly judging schools by financial aid and outcomes (bar passage, starting salary).  I'm also somewhat interested in business law and/or a joint program with an MBA.

And... assuming one gets into Harvard and it would cost substanially more than either BU/BC... is it really worth it?  How much value does it have beyond just the "name"?

spud1987

Re: Boston schools
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 05:37:49 PM »
I think if I got into Harvard I would definately go there over BC or BU even if it cost 50K more,  just because Harvard is so national, you can work anywhere.  As far as BC v. BU, it seems that BC has better career opps out of law school, their starting salaries are higher and I think they're employment rates are too, not sure tho. 

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 06:10:38 PM »
I think it's like Yale - Harvard with BC - BU. Both have a good ranking and prospects coming out of school, but one has a slightly better rep. The other main difference is location and facilities, with the advantage going to BC on facilities and BU on proximity to Fenway.

spud1987

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 07:47:25 PM »
Also if your concerned about the money factor, is it cheaper to live by BC or BU.  I have no idea considering I live 2500 miles away.  I just know that BC is in the suburbs. 

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shellrae007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 08:46:45 PM »
rent's about the same.  apartments in boston are wicked expensive (i'll throw the wicked out there since i'm from boston)...some would assume that BC apartments would be less, but Newton is also very expensive.  As far as housing goes, you'd be in the same situation for either, and probably looking at the same areas too (ie allston, somerville, various other suburbs).  The major difference is that BU is completely accessible by the T so no need for a car, whereas BC law is on the green line, then a bus and a walk, so you'd want a car there.

Also if your concerned about the money factor, is it cheaper to live by BC or BU.  I have no idea considering I live 2500 miles away.  I just know that BC is in the suburbs. 

spud1987

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 09:20:25 PM »
Cool thanks for the info.  I'm considering Boston schools but as of right now I have no idea where I'll end up. 

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 10:24:45 PM »
After visiting, some physical environment factors appear to me:
-BC's campus is more than an hour away from downtown Boston using public transit.  BU is in the heart of Boston. But BC's suburban campus is very nice and green.
-BU's law tower is definitely showing its age.  What happened in the 60's that people thought exposed concrete was cool?  BC's new library and East Wing are very nice.
-Harvard's campus definitely does not conceal the school's wealth.  The recent renovations make the buildings very nice.

Cpac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 04:07:24 PM »
After visiting, some physical environment factors appear to me:
-BC's campus is more than an hour away from downtown Boston using public transit.  BU is in the heart of Boston. But BC's suburban campus is very nice and green.
-BU's law tower is definitely showing its age.  What happened in the 60's that people thought exposed concrete was cool?  BC's new library and East Wing are very nice.
-Harvard's campus definitely does not conceal the school's wealth.  The recent renovations make the buildings very nice.

I actually visited BU about a week ago and I didn't find the tower too bad. I mean, it wasn't as horrible as the picture I had in my head, I think I could go to school there.

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 04:38:01 PM »
deloggio says: when it comes to boston jobs, BC has a better reputation.

http://www.deloggio.com/usnews/localrep.htm