Law School Discussion

School Rank or Class Rank?

ACK!

• RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
Re: School Rank or Class Rank?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 09:55:15 PM »
I actually grew up in Portland and would say just go to L&C.  It has a very good rep in Portland and a lot of firms hire out of there.  I have heard Willamette doesn't give very much money but who knows.  Considering you want to move back to Portland after you get your JD I would suggest just staing in town to get it.  Did you apply to Washington?  Seems like that would be a good option for you also.

Agreed. I had the opportunity to spend a summer with a L&C grad and he is a very successful lawyer in Portland by any criteria. He did rank in the top 10 percent of his class, so this may not be the case for lower ranked students, but I got the impression from my conversations with him that L&C is quite good in Portland, as long as you do fairly well in the class. Also, youíll want to consider the opportunities to make local employment connections and network through L&C alums that may not exist in Illinois.

I also agree on the point about applying to Washington. I know it is not easy without resident status, but you may not be evaluating your profile positively enough if youíve already gotten into what I gather was quite a reach school. My feeling is that if one gets into all of the schools they applied to, they didnít apply to the right range of schools. 

snikrep

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 10:30:58 PM »
I would not go to UIUC over L&C - Illinois is not *that* good of a school to justify all the extra expense, especially if you're set on the Portland area (I hear you there, I love Portland :P).

Willamette is giving out a lot of money this year - check LSN, somebody with a 160 LSAT and a 2.54 GPA got a $20k/year scholarship (their tuition is $25k), if your numbers are decent you'll be close to a full ride.  The only drawback is that you will need to place in the top 10-20% of the class to make it into the Portland market, L&C will probably have a stronger alumni network.

If you can make it into a T14, it's probably worth it to go someplace else (you will be able to get any job you want in Portland) - but I don't think UIUC is worth it, their alumni network is going to be focused mostly on Chicago, I'd be surprised if you get more than 1 or 2 a year who head up to the northwest.

You could also consider U. of Oregon - I was looking through a top firm and they had the executive editor of law review at Oregon (in a prestigious national firm), so being the top of the class there would leave you with some good options.  But if you're choosing between L&C and Oregon, I'd stick with the cheapest route.

As a note, I talked with a professor at Willamette who does adjunct work at L&C and U. of Oregon, and he pretty much told me to go to the national schools if you have the option (top-10).  The national reputation will trump any alumni network, no matter how strong.

L&C gives out around 3-4 full-tuition scholarships a year in case you're curious.

snikrep

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 01:09:10 AM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=marnster

People often list their scholarship awards in their profile.

ACK!

• RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 09:03:21 AM »
Some very useful advice from zenpeaceofmind posted elsewhere. This may provide some additional information on the regional placement statistics of the schools you are considering:

It's easy to do a search on www.martindale.com for this kind of thing....You just have to use Advanced Search and enter the city and the school. You don't have to fill out anything else.

http://www.martindale.com/xp/Martindale/Lawyer_Locator/search_advanced.xml

Good luck!

JaimeNina

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 06:17:53 PM »
As someone who's originally from the Northwest and went to a "national" undergrad in IL, I would say definitely go to L&C, U of O, UW, or even a Cali school like Hastings or Davis, or U of AZ. There are SO FEW Illinois connections in the Pacific NW, it's insane. I went to Northwestern, and people in Seattle thought that I went to like "Northwestern Washington State" which doesn't even exist. 

No one in Oregon even knows that Illinois is ranked higher than U of O, so the rankings boost is negligable. If you go to L&C you will be leaps and bounds ahead of where you would have been for job prospects had you gone to IL by the first year.

pass36

• But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 07:11:51 PM »
Northwestern Washington State -- is that in Humptuilips or Tokeland??