Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: *NEW* MLB (Baseball Is The Best Sport Ever) Thread  (Read 38168 times)

krumanadi

Re: *NEW* MLB (Baseball Is The Best Sport Ever) Thread
« Reply #560 on: May 24, 2006, 12:53:43 AM »
That was an awesome game  :D

God, I still hate Martinez. 

That WAS an amazing game.. I feel like we wont see yanks/sox games like that for awhile..

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 24, 2006, 03:11:58 AM »
As long as my Mets can beat up on the Yanks from time to time and the Yanks also get their asses handed to them by the Red Sox, I'm a happy man.  Random thought related to no previous posts.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

SCgrad

« Reply #562 on: May 24, 2006, 04:18:43 AM »
So I was watching Sportscenter, and they had an upcoming bit about Gary Sheffield. They did the usual thing, showed some highlights of him hitting the ball, three swings, the usual. Two of the three (and probably the third, but I didn't get a sure look) were hits off the Oakland A's.

Now, I'm probably just crazy, but I notice SO many random highlights of players that are shown for nothing other than to associate a picture with the name that come against the Oakland A's. Does anyone else notice this? Or the same sort of thing except with highlights showing their team?

It's not like the A's are a bad team, giving up an extraordinary amount of hits and striking out a ton.

In 2004, Sportscenter had a bit on the Reds a couple of weeks after interleague play had ended. It wasn't about interleague and had nothing to do with the clips they showed. They showed 6 plays, and three of them were from their interleague series against the A's. The interleague series where they not only got swept, but got demolished. Why are they digging into that footage to find basic Reds clips? I can't understand it.

I actually have noticed this.  And I am in no way an As fan, so it wasn't bias.  It made me wonder if the As broadcasts have some different kind of licensing or something that made it easier for ESPN to show clips of non-ESPN As games or something.  I mean, I know all broadcasts are the property of MLB, but it is so pronounced that I had to come up with weird theories.

EDIT: p.s. I don't even have cable, so this is from sporadic viewing.  And it's a trend that goes back at least a few years.  At one point I thought it might be a way of sort of crushing the team when Billy Beane was riding high, but that doesn't explain why it continues.

are they all home games? maybe it has to do with their stadium?  the only thing i can think of is that the A's home field has the most foul ground in baseball (I think).  Maybe that makes highlights better?  I can't for the life of me think of a reason why, but who knows?  On a slightly unrelated note, the fact that a non-A's fan would pick up on this is some Beautiful Mind *&^% in the making, imho.  you don't have newspapers taped up all over your bedroom, do you?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 24, 2006, 11:03:59 AM »
are they all home games? maybe it has to do with their stadium?  the only thing i can think of is that the A's home field has the most foul ground in baseball (I think).  Maybe that makes highlights better?  I can't for the life of me think of a reason why, but who knows?  On a slightly unrelated note, the fact that a non-A's fan would pick up on this is some Beautiful Mind *&^% in the making, imho.  you don't have newspapers taped up all over your bedroom, do you?

:D  :D No, I'm not even really up on AL ball or anything.  It's just that I just found myself asking all the time, "Do the As suck so much?"  That's all.  My ex and I talked about it a few times.  LOL.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #564 on: May 24, 2006, 02:04:18 PM »
OMG this is crazy...I'm a huge A's fan for life, so I def. notice this stuff, but I always thought it was just me...I'm not sure if the licensing stuff has anything to do with it, or even how that stuff works, but all A's games are broadcast on the local tv station (no cable channel or fancy stuff), so that may play a role...

...Other than that, I can't find much of an explanation...the A's actually DON'T SUCK and I'm sure they are gonna be contenders at the end of the season...if you look at the records you'll see they have one of the winningest (sp) teams of the last 6-7 seasons, but they been able to put it together in the playoffs...in any case, it's a tough call bc they actually are an above average team...
Boalt 1L

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 24, 2006, 02:06:05 PM »
OMG this is crazy...I'm a huge A's fan for life, so I def. notice this stuff, but I always thought it was just me...I'm not sure if the licensing stuff has anything to do with it, or even how that stuff works, but all A's games are broadcast on the local tv station (no cable channel or fancy stuff), so that may play a role...

...Other than that, I can't find much of an explanation...the A's actually DON'T SUCK and I'm sure they are gonna be contenders at the end of the season...if you look at the records you'll see they have one of the winningest (sp) teams of the last 6-7 seasons, but they been able to put it together in the playoffs...in any case, it's a tough call bc they actually are an above average team...

I know -- that's what's so weird about it.  It's what caused me to believe -- back in the day -- that it was some total consipiracy to bring Beane and Howe and the gang back down to earth.  But now that explanation doesn't hold the same water.  Craziness!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 24, 2006, 04:41:03 PM »
It always seems like the Cardinals are always shown giving up home runs, but it might be psychological.

EDIT:  Also, through 3 innings the Cardinals and Giants have combined to load the bases with no outs 3 times, and one run has been scored off these situations.  That's efficient offense...

verb
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #567 on: May 24, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »
So I was watching Sportscenter, and they had an upcoming bit about Gary Sheffield. They did the usual thing, showed some highlights of him hitting the ball, three swings, the usual. Two of the three (and probably the third, but I didn't get a sure look) were hits off the Oakland A's.

Now, I'm probably just crazy, but I notice SO many random highlights of players that are shown for nothing other than to associate a picture with the name that come against the Oakland A's. Does anyone else notice this? Or the same sort of thing except with highlights showing their team?

It's not like the A's are a bad team, giving up an extraordinary amount of hits and striking out a ton.

In 2004, Sportscenter had a bit on the Reds a couple of weeks after interleague play had ended. It wasn't about interleague and had nothing to do with the clips they showed. They showed 6 plays, and three of them were from their interleague series against the A's. The interleague series where they not only got swept, but got demolished. Why are they digging into that footage to find basic Reds clips? I can't understand it.

I actually have noticed this.  And I am in no way an As fan, so it wasn't bias.  It made me wonder if the As broadcasts have some different kind of licensing or something that made it easier for ESPN to show clips of non-ESPN As games or something.  I mean, I know all broadcasts are the property of MLB, but it is so pronounced that I had to come up with weird theories.

EDIT: p.s. I don't even have cable, so this is from sporadic viewing.  And it's a trend that goes back at least a few years.  At one point I thought it might be a way of sort of crushing the team when Billy Beane was riding high, but that doesn't explain why it continues.

also, (at least back in the day) nearly all photos of Aaerican League players for baseball cards were taken at the Oakland Coliseum.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #568 on: May 24, 2006, 04:47:29 PM »
I just ordered gameday audio. :) Gives me something to listen to while doing online research for my prof over the summer.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Slow Blues

« Reply #569 on: May 24, 2006, 04:56:19 PM »
It always seems like the Cardinals are always shown giving up home runs, but it might be psychological.

Psychological. Do you remember Pujols's home run off of Brad Lidge in last year's NLCS? That has to be the most mammoth HR I've ever seen.