Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: miami "hold"  (Read 2088 times)

Dwigt

• View Profile
Re: miami "hold"
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 08:31:05 PM »
My hold notice from Miami came in on Friday as well. 

joeydale

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 09:43:57 PM »
So when do you guys think we will hear back from UM? April or sooner??

The bad thing for me is that I don't really have any additional info to send. My grades went down last semester, so that's out of the question and I've already sent them an addendum before I got my decision telling them that they are my first choice. Can't think of much else, except for a "personal" recommendation but I've already used up all my good recs. and not sure if I could get another Professor...

Any suggestions or is it just a crapshoot for me now?

Btw, 3.46/155, solid soft factors.

joeydale

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 03:27:02 PM »
so anyone have an update on um? im thinking i might send in a LOR or something, why not..

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 11:27:32 PM »
Another Miami hold here. I am semi-local(Ft. Lauderdale) and go to FSU. So this weekend I came back to go to UM and plead my case. What I heard was not good. I talked to an admissions advisor and she basically told me that very few people on hold get offered admission especially these last few years. She said that they are still as of now accepting applications and are receiving qualified applicants. She alluded to me send in my deposit at another school I favored. My uncle is an alumni of Miami Law and I had him send another letter of recommendation. She also said that I should e-mail her, and that e-mail will be placed in my file noting I visited. I know this is not what you guys wanted to hear, but I would consider taking your next best plan of action, but who knows stranger things have happened right?

Benashja

• AOL Instant Messenger - JustJoshing11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 11:10:09 AM »
I'm just chiming in here to say that I was placed on hold as well and have not heard a word from them yet.  I sent fall 2005 grades and an extra addendum.  No confirmation or anything.  I am moving forward with my other schools and not holding out much hope for Miami.  Also I've seen figures that estimate about $47,000 per year if you include all expenses... and if we were deferred I'm assuming we have 0 chance at any scholarship money.  Oh well.
Touchdown (accepted): Rutgers-Newark, Saint Louis, Michigan State, Albany, Gonzaga ($5500), Tulsa ($10000), Florida Coastal ($12000)
3 and Out (waitlisted): Penn State, Case Western
Fumble (rejected): Denver, Miami, IUPUI

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 06:03:30 PM »
Another Miami hold here. I am semi-local(Ft. Lauderdale) and go to FSU. So this weekend I came back to go to UM and plead my case. What I heard was not good. I talked to an admissions advisor and she basically told me that very few people on hold get offered admission especially these last few years. She said that they are still as of now accepting applications and are receiving qualified applicants. She alluded to me send in my deposit at another school I favored. My uncle is an alumni of Miami Law and I had him send another letter of recommendation. She also said that I should e-mail her, and that e-mail will be placed in my file noting I visited. I know this is not what you guys wanted to hear, but I would consider taking your next best plan of action, but who knows stranger things have happened right?

i went two years ago to that law fair, how was it this year? did you speak to therese lambert?
i believe miami is becoming incresingly harder to get into.
did she allude as to when decisions will be mailed out?

It wasn't so much of a fair, as it was a guided tour. I didnít even get to sit in on a class, since the class scheduled after my tour was cancelled. And yes that was who I talked to.

joeydale

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 09:36:09 PM »

You got bonus points for going there and seeing talking to someone? I didn't know that counted, but good job.

That does surprise me a bit about her not planning on accepting many deferrals, considering that UM is one of those schools that a lot of people just apply to because of the weather etc. and then don't end up going. I heard they over accept though, so that's probably why. O don't really get why they over-admit because most of those people don't end up going and then (apparently) hardly taken anyone off the deferall list (i.e. those people who would probably attend). I wouldn't give up hope though because if you notice on LSN - pretty much everyone with a 3.0 above got accepted and everyone with like a 2.8-2.9 got deferred (including me), so that probably means AT LEAST a few of us will get in.

But anyway, I found out that they are going to be mailing out the decisions in early April. I'm thinking most of us will get waitlisted, so we could be waiting for a long time. Who knows. I think a guy on LSD last year was deferred and actually got in like early April. His name was like casigrosa or something, forgot. He was a huge splitter, with like a 170+ score though. I've noticed that UM tends to like splitters with high LSAT scores and not the other way around.  :-\

Good luck to everyone else who really wants to go there. I'm sure we still have a chance because of what I mentioned about LSN.

joeydale

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 10:44:43 PM »
when do you guys think the deferrals will hear back? i'm thinking march based on what i have read from last year..so it should be within the next couple weeks! i'm also guessing most will get a "waitlist" but who knows, maybe a few will get accepted? anyone have any info about UM and how they handle people like us?

i'm really hoping we won't be stuck on some waitlist until the summer...

btw, if it means anything, when i asked the admissions office about when deferalls will hear back, the lady said early April for some reason. i thought it would be late april after the april 15th seat deposit/

good luck, everyone!

joeydale

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 10:48:43 PM »
this is what i know, btw:

-they take 15-20% off their waitlist, which seems pretty small.

-they overadmit so chances are we won't get accepted.

-admissions office told me we should hear back in early april. confusing time frame for me since seat deposits are due april 15th

-most people get waitlisted after the deferral.

-2 people on this board got accepted after a deferral/waitlist LAST year. do a search if you want..both heard back in March!

Momo

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 11:52:42 PM »
I dropped off an application in late jan and just got mail notification today that I was placed on the wait list. Miami was my first choice, and I am still hopeful although I wonder how promising my chances at getting in are at this point.
So here's my info:
Graduating Smith College in 3yrs this May. 3.5GPA; 157 Dec LSAT.
2 good prof letters; pretty great personal statement.
I'd any appreciate feedback.