Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement Ideas  (Read 2018 times)

Jenna

• View Profile
    • Email
Personal Statement Ideas
« on: January 07, 2006, 05:05:28 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has a good personal statement that has worked well for them that they could let me take a look at for ideas. I'm a good writer, but I'm having trouble coming up with something. I'm not used to writing about myself! I'm applying to Stetson and I have to write about my aspirations to study law, why I chose to apply to this particular school, and my backgrounds and interests.
I thought about going with a theme that would talk about how I like to challenge myself in everything I do. I like to do things that other people say I will never do or I won't be able to do, and law school is one of those things. But I don't know if that's a good theme to go with. I might have trouble coming up with enough examples of stuff like that. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!

Jenna

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Personal Statement Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 05:09:45 PM »
Oh, I had also thought about writing about my interest in music, which is what made me want to get into entertainment law in the first place. I could tell how my musical talent and interest has made me the person I am and how I feel strongly about people burning CDs and stuff like that. But that's seems kind of dumb, too, whem I think about it. I guess I just need some guidance. :) Thanks!

Jenna

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 10:34:09 PM »
Nevermind, I think I finally got focused and was able to get it done. It might need some work since it's just a first draft, but if anyone would like to help me out and reading and reviewing it, that would be great. Thanks!

vitaminwater

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 12:49:08 AM »
okay good. i was about to say. not good to get ideas from another persons ps. write your own darn it!

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 03:23:36 AM »
Hey! Well, I'd recommend you choose a topic that will focus mainly on you--anything that focuses too much on "they said this to me," or "They think this about me" will move the focus away from you. Think of it this way--the best PS's are about things a person has done, done well, and can write enthusiastically about. Often, the most...misguided...statements are about something that happened *to you.* This means you won't be active in the PS--you'll be passive, just observing and recording whatever craziness is affecting you. PS's that essentially sum up as "look at how crazy/annoying/weird/sad my world is!" won't work all that hard at selling you as a law-ready candidate.

The PS is your opportunity to show what you do when you're in charge, how you make decisions, lead, etc. Anytime you consider writing about something someone has done/said to you, it had better be a whopper--and I mean the size of "my dad turned out to be a woman" or "I grew up in the circus."

IMHO. ;-)

best,

dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

Jenna

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 12:12:21 AM »
Thanks!! I actually finished my PS a few days ago and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
I just need help as far as the format before I can put it on LSDAS. I'm not sure what to put at the tope. I guess I should put my name and ID number on every page, but not sure whether to use ss# or LSAC number. And I don't know if I should title my PS or what! Any help? THANKS!

TeacherPet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 08:21:48 PM »
Hi,

I am new at this so please be patient with me.  I am applying to law school next year at TWU in Fort Worth.  I am starting in my personal statement now.  Would it be feasable t mention my military experience as a paralegal in the military.  I was a Paralegal in the Army for 5 years.  Yes JAG Corps.  I was stationed in Germany for two years where as a junior enlisted soldier, I was put in charge of the Legal Assistance Office and Trial Defense services.  Later, I worked in Criminal Law processing disciplinary actions.  I also finished college in the military in Europe.  I worked 10-16 hour days depending on if there was a courts-martial or not and I took at least 15 hours a semester.  I will finish a M.Ed next year in Educational Administration from TWU in Fort Worth.  My UGPA is not that high, but the graduate GPA is.  Can anyone give me any feedback on how I can really improve my PS.  Thank you and sorry for the terrible run on sentences.

redemption

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 11:18:52 AM »
Why wouldn't you mention your JAG experience?

A good personal statement is one thay you yourself would enjoy reading; and one that gives a sense of you as a unique individual.

loddus

• ICQ Messenger - 3702699
    • View Profile
    • Boobscan
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 01:09:56 AM »
Jenna, I put my name on the left and LSAC on the right in the header.  No title. I just got my acceptance letter from Stetson today.
Man:"Good day Number 6."
Number 6:"Number what?"
Man:"Six. For official purposes, everyone has a number. Your's is Number 6."
Number 6:"I am not a number. I am a person."
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=loddus