Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ok, I need help...  (Read 846 times)

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
Ok, I need help...
« on: January 06, 2006, 11:22:36 PM »
With an addendum because early this morning I was arrested and cited for driving while intoxicated.  I know that the general feeling of the addendum is to simply state the facts, but I feel that since this is a current thing, it would be a good idea to write a few sentences about how this is not indicative of my character in general and that I am going to deal with this in a responsible adult manner and handle the consequences.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  Also, I know that I f*cked up big time, I don't need anyone to tell me that.  Is this the end of my pending apps or is there hope?

verb
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

Ocean Blue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ok, I need help...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 11:40:55 PM »
I'm no expert, but it's my thought is that if you own up to what you've done, and talk about what you've learned from it, than you can minimize the damage.  I doubt the DUI will HELP your applications, but I think if you address it with candor than it won't destroy your chances.  Keep your head up and hope for the best.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ocnblu6

168/3.62
Accepted: Michigan, UT-Austin($$$), USC, NotreDame($$$) W&L($$$), Boston U, UCLA
Pending: UVA, LLS, Duke, Penn
Rejected: Boalt, Chicago
Waitlisted: Georgetown

john83

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 12:55:28 AM »
verb, man, i'm sorry to hear about what happened. i've been watching your LSN for a longtime now since we're close in numbers.

anyway, i think it's a mature step for you to write an addendum being as honest as you can about the situation. it's a tough thing to write, however. i'm afraid that going to deep into "this is not my true character" talk will sound as if you're only saying this because of the current situation.

your best hope is that by being open with all schools, those pending and those accepted, schools will realize your character due to your honesty concerning the situation--let them decide how they want to handle the situation.

unfortunately, this may have negative consequences on some of your apps. but many people have gotten into law schools with arrests on their record. this is one of those things that may seriously hurt you, or it may just be a bump in the trail.

i wish you the best of luck. keep me updated.

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 11:53:35 AM »
That's rough, I'm so sorry that happened.

A friend who is going also applying to law school is in the same situation, and his attorney is telling him not to say anything until he decides if he is going to plead guilty or take it to trial.  If he does decide to go for the "not guilty" aspect, admitting fault in a statement to future law school could be detrimental.

So, it might be in your best interest to talk to an experienced lawyer in your area that deals exclusivly with DUI, he/she would have the best advise about how to go about handling your situation, and could also advise you on how to explain the situation to your law school.

Best of luck, I hope this all works out for you.

SCgrad

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 12:03:29 PM »
That's rough, I'm so sorry that happened.

A friend who is going also applying to law school is in the same situation, and his attorney is telling him not to say anything until he decides if he is going to plead guilty or take it to trial.  If he does decide to go for the "not guilty" aspect, admitting fault in a statement to future law school could be detrimental.

So, it might be in your best interest to talk to an experienced lawyer in your area that deals exclusivly with DUI, he/she would have the best advise about how to go about handling your situation, and could also advise you on how to explain the situation to your law school.

Best of luck, I hope this all works out for you.

this sounds like good advice to me.

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 10:57:55 PM »
Ok, here's what I have for a form letter, hope to mail by Friday.  Let me know what you think.  Also, does everyone agree that I do not have to disclose to a school that only asks "have you been convicted of a crime?"

Thanks

Dear <dean of admissions name>,

Thank you for your continued consideration of my application.  <insert school name> is one of my top choices and I look forward to hearing from the Admissions Committee.  However, in accordance with the terms of my application, I must inform you of a change in my answer to question X.  On Friday, January 6th, 2006 I was pulled over by the Missouri State Highway Patrol and cited for driving while intoxicated and failure to drive within the right lane.  The charges are pending the results of my blood sample.

I intend to plead not guilty to these charges.  While I had been out with having drinks with friends, I certainly did not feel that I was impaired or posing any kind of a danger to anyone.  Regardless of that, I am profoundly ashamed at the poor judgment I displayed.  I will never put myself in this situation again, regardless of the outcome of this case.  Furthermore, I intend to keep the admissions committee fully abreast of the outcome of this case.  I sincerely hope that this will not adversely affect the outcome of my application.

Sincerely,

XXXX
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 11:02:18 PM »
I would definately at least call the schools that ask just "crime" and get an answer from them, maybe an e-mail would be better so that you can prove that someone told you that you did not need to disclose.

I'd say it would be better to play it safe then to have it come up later, I forgot where I read it, but it said somewhere that the law schools do an extensive criminal background check to make sure you will clear the Bar so I would assume that they will find out about it regardless if you disclose or not.

Dr. Miles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 11:04:50 PM »
you do not need to disclose. the application asks if you have ever been convicted of a crime. you have not been convicted of this crime yet. thus, you do not need to disclose it.

law schools ask these questions, i think, to see if you will have c&f problems later on. generally, you will only have c&f problems if you have been convicted of theft, especially when you have been in a position of trust (like if you pilfered from the student gov't treasury fund) or if you have displayed a pattern of lawbreaking that suggests a cavalier attitude towards legal authority. other that that, you're fine. so don't worry if you got arrested for smoking a joint when you were 17, many of us have been there, and it's not a big deal. just don't lie.

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 01:24:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it as far as admissions.  I think the worst thing is that it happened now as opposed to before, just bad timing.  I think it would be even less of a big deal had I had a DWI before I applied, I just think it looks worse to have it now.

But yes, I agree that I definitely do not have to disclose to the school that asks for conviction.  But for the other ones, do you think the text is ok?

verb

john83

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 01:25:54 AM »
what kind of test did they give you? breathalizer (sp?) or what?