Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSD PS Bank  (Read 4908 times)

Ginatio

Re: LSD PS Bank
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2004, 03:58:11 PM »
my planning skills aren't the only thing...

plus, we need a code monkey to code the whole thing.

Your planning skills are kinda sexy, Ginatio.   :-*

Everything sounds good, except we need a webmaster.  Unless, of course, Andrew decided to add this as an area to the existing site.

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2004, 04:34:55 PM »
also, i remember seeing a dateline news special on detecting cheating in high schools where they showed an online repository of papers and resources that could be used by teachers to detect plagarism in student papers. they way it worked was that the teachers uploaded the suspicious papers to the website, which then did an automated search to find identical passages that matched up with their database. they would then send the marked up copy of the paper back to the teacher with copied passages highlighted and a score of "____ %" plagarized.
That's definitely a working plan.  How would we notify adcoms of such a site?  And how do we detect/control suspicious activity?  (I don't think ad coms would take the time to visit a site to make such cross references).
Your planning skills are kinda sexy, Ginatio.   :-*

This is funny!  It's exactly what I was talking about (and the dateline show was where I learned about the document comparison sites -i.e. turnitin.com- too, Ginatio).

But...
I honestly don't think that ad coms have time to do this.  They are already overloaded.

Have you changed your opinion?
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie

Ginatio

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 04:50:13 PM »
what can i say... some guys just got it.  ;)

but yea, that's what i was thinking of. turnitin.com. still won't get around hiring someone to write your PS for you, which i guess is the bigger problem nowadays...

This is funny!  It's exactly what I was talking about (and the dateline show was where I learned about the document comparison sites -i.e. turnitin.com- too, Ginatio).

But...
I honestly don't think that ad coms have time to do this.  They are already overloaded.

Have you changed your opinion?

mancow555

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 06:07:11 PM »
sites like turnitin.com should be illegal because they profit off of the intellectual property of others (namely students) without compensating them for their works

Ginatio

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2004, 06:10:17 PM »
im not so sure that work to be handed in counts as intellectual property... once you hand it over to your school (or an agent of the school) then you give up your rights to it... right?

sites like turnitin.com should be illegal because they profit off of the intellectual property of others (namely students) without compensating them for their works

ruskiegirl

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2004, 12:11:06 PM »
Ruskie said:
high school in rural Tennesee

Ruskie! Where??? Would you believe that this is also in my PS? Mine was Clinch, then and now the smallest public school in the state - 200 kids, head-start to high-school, just 10 in our junior class. It's not a major part of my PS (finished it last night! hooray), just touched on in passing, but I thought it remarkable that you had a similar experience.

I went to Polk County schools.  There were about 60 in my graduating class. 

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2004, 10:32:30 PM »
Sure they would!  With plagiarism at an all time high, they'd be better off having a resource to weed out cheaters now (rather than after admission).

There's already several document-bank-type websites out there that high schools and colleges are checking their students' work against; this wouldn't be any different.  You could also charge adcomms for access as well, since it would be an invaluable resource...

YES YES YES.  Charge the adcoms.  We could develop a monopoly in the area, just like usnews has in LS reviews.  I like it. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

newy

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2004, 05:16:15 PM »
Code monkey here, offering my services in exchange for % of the profits, and you have to give me a cuter name than "code monkey".  But seriously, I have the skills to execute this type of thing, so if we can figure out a business model, I would definitely be interested in working on it.

Ginatio

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2004, 06:40:47 PM »
awesome. i'll work on the business plan. i'm into that kind of stuff.

Code monkey here, offering my services in exchange for % of the profits, and you have to give me a cuter name than "code monkey".  But seriously, I have the skills to execute this type of thing, so if we can figure out a business model, I would definitely be interested in working on it.

nonobvious

• Sr. Citizen
  • 167/3.66
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2004, 07:38:34 PM »
i will provide moral support, bad puns, and inane commentary. also maybe brownies. i will also take a % of the proceeds, sprinkled with a double-helping of glory.
"Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss."