Law School Discussion

which of these are "national" schools?

Ego

Re: which of these are "national" schools?
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 04:48:39 PM »
Just go to northeastern.

Judging by your list, I think that's probably best, and you'll get in.  Don't worry about Suffolk or Western NE.   BC and BU seem unlikely.  If you want to be in Boston, Northeastern would probably be better than arizona or bloomington.  I'm sure those schools would be well recognized in Boston, as would any first tier, but as far as networking and doing summer work, building connections,etc... just stay in boston.  Those schools don't seem significantly better than northeastern than to discount those advantages.  If, however, you're after a particular area of law other than public interest that they're strong in... perhaps you should look further into them.

Ego

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 04:49:25 PM »
Just go to northeastern.

Judging by your list, I think that's probably best, and you'll get in.  Don't worry about Suffolk or Western NE.   BC and BU seem unlikely.  If you want to be in Boston, Northeastern would probably be better than arizona or bloomington.  I'm sure those schools would be well recognized in Boston, as would any first tier, but as far as networking and doing summer work, building connections,etc... just stay in boston.  Those schools don't seem significantly better than northeastern than to discount those advantages.  If, however, you're after a particular area of law other than public interest that they're strong in... perhaps you should look further into them.

Well put. 

This is what I was trying to say before

pass36

• But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 04:57:06 PM »
Just go to northeastern.

OK, now that you've got that figured out, which schools _ARE_ national?

Where could you go and be 90% sure of getting a good job/clerkship in Boston, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Miami, L.A., Las Vegas, Bismark AND/OR Dallas??

Take HYSCCN for granted.  Who to add?

Ego

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »
Just go to northeastern.

Where could you go and be 90% sure of getting a good job/clerkship in Boston, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Miami, L.A., Las Vegas, Bismark AND/OR Dallas??

Take a look at the study linked here.

http://www.autoadmit.com/studies/

but generally here is how I understand it to be, and I've asked this questions various ways multiple times on different boards over 2 years:

National: The T14
Almost National except for selfselection: Texas, UCLA, Vanderbilt
National for top third of students: GW/BC/BU/Minn/Notre Dame

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2006, 05:04:22 PM »
Just go to northeastern.

Take a look at the study linked here.

http://www.autoadmit.com/studies/

but generally here is how I understand it to be, and I've asked this questions various ways multiple times on different boards over 2 years:

National: The T14
Almost National except for selfselection: Texas, UCLA, Vanderbilt
National for top third of students: GW/BC/BU/Minn/Notre Dame

Vanderbilt troll!

Ego

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 05:05:39 PM »
I wasn't until recently...I've been converted. 

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 05:09:27 PM »

There is no way in hell Vanderbilt has a national law school pedigree.  I agree that UCLA & Texas are arguable though.  Maybe even ND because of the Catholic network.

Ego

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 05:10:53 PM »

There is no way in hell Vanderbilt has a national law school pedigree.  I agree that UCLA & Texas are arguable though.  Maybe even ND because of the Catholic network.

It does.  I've spoken with lawyers and judges about it, in addition to looking at the stats. 

Where are you from?  I'm in NY. 

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

It does.  I've spoken with lawyers and judges about it, in addition to looking at the stats. 

Where are you from?  I'm in NY. 

Philly.  Temple 1L