Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA 3.59, LSAT 152...what to do?  (Read 1807 times)

NH

• View Profile
GPA 3.59, LSAT 152...what to do?
« on: January 06, 2006, 08:12:07 PM »
Hello...

I am applying to law school for fall 2006 and just received my 12/05 lsat score: a 152.  I took many timed, proctored practice tests and received considerably higher scores of 161-162.  I blame my result on the condition of the test site and have filed a complaint with LSAC (they have refused to take any responsibility).  I will include an addendum with my application explaining the situation.  I have a 3.59 GPA, a CPA license, 4 years work experience as a public accountant and have been involved in numerous extracurricular and volunteer activies.  I was a also a law minor as an undergrad and did very well in my classes.  I am also a "minority." I was aiming for all top-tier schools and am now beginning to have second thoughts.  Any advice on my chances of getting in to a top 100?  Should I aim lower?   

EE Cummings

• View Profile
Re: GPA 3.59, LSAT 152...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 08:19:38 PM »
I think a 152 as vertain URMs could get you into the 80-100 range.

However, instead of blaming LSAC for your score I would if you look inward and prepare better for inevitable distractions.

LSAC did not get the 152, you did.
Women and men(both dong and ding)
summer autumn winter spring
reaped their sowing and went their came
sun moon stars rain

NH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 08:37:45 PM »
EE:

Thanks for your reply! That's good to hear.  As for the poor LSAT condition, I was not the only student who filed a complaint.  Try taking the exam on a tiny fold out desk and having to put your pencils on the floor and answer sheet underneath your booklet because you have no space.  You would lose significant time also.  And, by the way, I prepared full time over 2 months.  I simply wanted LSAC to include a cover letter describing the conditions with my applications. 

buslaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 06:21:21 PM »
As a minority, you do have a chance at top-tier schools. Make sure all your application components, including your essay, are great. I'm also a minority, with your same GPA and a slightly lower LSAT score. I got into Rutgers-Newark. There's hope! =)

ls_hopeful_2007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 07:00:13 PM »
Wow, your situation sounds almost exactly like mine, except I have a 3.1 GPA and 155 LSAT.  Where did you take the exam? 

From what I've been hearing from other people, Top 100 is achievable (especially with your relatively solid GPA), even Top 50, with luck.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 09:18:46 AM »
With your GPA, URM status, and strong work experience, I think a top 100 is well within reach. Skip the addendum about the LSAT, since your problem is hardly an uncommon one for LSAT takers.