Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admissions Lore- WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?!  (Read 14417 times)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Admissions Lore- WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?!
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2006, 12:39:52 AM »
I agree with thelynifer. I think I did well partially because I didn't get into the mindset that if I didn't get a 99th percentile score, my life would be over forever. No matter what score I got, I knew I'd at least do well enough to get into law school and not be stuck doing what I went back to school for the first time. 

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2006, 12:46:03 PM »
nope, based strictly on verbal sat (both were clear and discussed it independent of the other, so chance for error is low)

yall are definitely right about the mental aspect, i really think that is what messed me up.  i would def. take it again in a few years, just for the hell of it, to prove i am far better than one single test would indicate. ;)
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

Mr Shears

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2006, 07:28:29 PM »
I got a 620 on my verbals (I didn't care in high school, and didn't bother answering a number of questions).  It's a bit spooky, considering I've been averaging 163s on my practice tests.

Miyabi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2006, 02:57:49 AM »
Man, if that was true, why am I scoring in the high 140s-low 150s when my verbal was a 720?  ??? Doesn't really make much sense...

Karl Pilkington

• Sr. Citizen
  • Only Ricky and Steve know my secret identity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2006, 11:44:10 AM »
It seems like I'm one of the few that the formula worked for: 720V, 730M on the SAT, and 173 on the LSAT.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2006, 11:47:49 AM »
That's awesome for you efpdave. I don't think it applies to me at all since I took it before the recentering when scores were way lower. That would have been a really depressing formula to say the least!

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2006, 12:21:56 PM »
However, it works when you take my SAT MATH score, it works pretty well. If I recall, I was 720 on that (but again, 600s on the GRE) and got the 171 on the LSAT. Granted, on the games potion of the GRE (it had one then) I got a 790. So...

Holy Crap, you're right!

SAT verbal: 710, math: 570....LSAT: 156, 157

Weird though...I did absolutely no prep for the SAT but worked my ass off, including prep course, for the LSAT.  My practice exams were in the 161-163 range, but just couldn't do it on the real thing.
Fed gov't atty

jiggedyjared

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2006, 11:12:43 PM »
I pretty much wanted to blow my face off after my October test.  This formula says I should have scored about a 170.  I was scoring 164-168 in the practice tests.  I lost track of time on the first reading comp section, and had a lot left to do at the 5 minute marker.  I freaked on the rest of the test, and ended up getting a 152.  Oddly enough the games actually pulled my score waaay up because I had studied that section so much.  I'm applying to pretty much the same mix of law schools as I would have had I done better, but if I don't get in I don't know what I'll do... maybe MBA maybe graduate in Econ.  This sucks, though.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2006, 11:12:05 AM »
I think the math score is a MUCH more accurate predictor..its more related to that type of thinking

and the SATs are MUCH easier obviously!
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

norcaldude

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2006, 06:05:42 PM »
I pretty much wanted to blow my face off after my October test.  This formula says I should have scored about a 170.  I was scoring 164-168 in the practice tests.  I lost track of time on the first reading comp section, and had a lot left to do at the 5 minute marker.  I freaked on the rest of the test, and ended up getting a 152.  Oddly enough the games actually pulled my score waaay up because I had studied that section so much.  I'm applying to pretty much the same mix of law schools as I would have had I done better, but if I don't get in I don't know what I'll do... maybe MBA maybe graduate in Econ.  This sucks, though.

you may have chocked.  if you were expecting a 170, it might be worth it to retake the test.  if you get over a 165, you should be fine in terms of schools disregarding your first score.

good luck.