Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston Area?  (Read 3596 times)

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
Boston Area?
« on: July 19, 2004, 02:32:51 PM »
Okay, so I know I want to practice and settle in Boston.  I have a 3.3 and a 165 from a very good school in the northeast (non-Ivy).  I'm a varsity athlete and I work 20 hours a week, I'll have strong LORs, and I'm not sure about my PS yet, I still have to write it.  I'm not a URM.  Here's where I plan on applying so far:

BU
BC (Early)
Northeastern (Early)
Suffolk

Should I add any to this list to cover my bases?  What kind of shot do I have at each of these schools?  I already did the chiashu calculator, so I know the percentage that gives me.  Does anyone have any insight to any of these schools that will up my chances?  Thanks so much for any responses.
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Boston Area?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 02:40:16 PM »
I think your shot at BU and BC will depend a lot on the applicant pool.  Your stats are pretty good, but they are ranked fairly high in the 1st tier.  I'm not sure on the numbers from BC (I should...I've looked them up for myself...) but I know BU seems not to be increasing their lsat range that much, so you may have a better shot there.

I also think you have an awesome shot at Northeastern, and you'll be able to get a great job in a small to midsized firm after graduation, according to what some of the attorneys I work with have told me.

And Suffolk should be a safety for you.  If you're really concerned about having a 100% sure thing safety though, I'd also apply to the New England School of Law, although to have a decent shot at finding a job you'd need to finish at the top of your class.

Aristone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 12:27:15 AM »
You are definitely in at Suffolk and Northeastern with some money (Northeastern being the better school and easier to obtain a Biglaw job in Boston).

I'd say you have a better shot at BU than BC.  BC is known for being more selective and having weird admissions policies...ie yield protection.  It seems like a crapshoot at BC.

You could add UConn, which has an ok presence in Boston.  Otherwise, it is notoriously harder to break into the Boston market than other markets.  Staying in the area is a key decision.

As for myself, I'll be attending BC...please let me know if you have any questions.

ryckmansboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 01:53:38 PM »
How do you know that you want to practice in Boston?  I go to law school in Boston and looked at Boston firms as well as firms in other large cities, and I was totally underwhelmed by the Boston firms.  I'm glad I went with my instincts, as my friends who choose to work this summer for Boston firms are not enjoying their experiences.

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 02:38:39 PM »
I grew up in Boston, left for undergrad, and miss it all the time.  My family and my long-term boyfriend, and most of my childhood friends are still here.  I've been to many other cities around the country, and still think Boston is the best.  I love the Pats and Sox (obviously), I love the common, I love running on the Charles and spending time in Harvard Square.  I even love all of our seasons.  Whenever I come home, I get a big smile on my face, knowing that I'm where I belong.  While I know life may throw me many curveballs, and I may very well end up somewhere else, I know that Boston is where I belong. 

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 04:11:43 PM »
fwiw, our index numbers work out about the same for BU, and i was waitlisted this year. i never pursued it any further once i was on the waitlist, so i don't know whether effort would have gained me eventual admission...

pross1492

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 04:33:18 PM »
how does he know he wants to practice in beantown??  i'm guessing it's doug.

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 09:21:17 PM »
I grew up in Boston, left for undergrad, and miss it all the time.  My family and my long-term boyfriend, and most of my childhood friends are still here.  I've been to many other cities around the country, and still think Boston is the best.  I love the Pats and Sox (obviously), I love the common, I love running on the Charles and spending time in Harvard Square.  I even love all of our seasons.  Whenever I come home, I get a big smile on my face, knowing that I'm where I belong.  While I know life may throw me many curveballs, and I may very well end up somewhere else, I know that Boston is where I belong. 

that's the cutest thing i've ever heard

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 12:32:58 PM »
Aww, thanks Lexy!  What can I say, I just love Boston!

BAFF213

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 11:15:14 PM »
Lexy - I like your new pic.    :-X