Law School Discussion

DARFUR: can we help or has our Master become...Complacency?

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DARFUR: can we help or has our Master become...Complacency?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2006, 02:40:02 AM »
Great article Mystery. This is exactly what needs to happen and what I said from the beginning a militarized UN force. This is how issues get solved when regional powers work with the troubled nation with the UN keeping a watchful eye. Now if you were to replace america with the UN in that scenario "american imperialism" will be the new catch phrase, troops would be further spread, the government budget further in excess, and a new front for anti-western militants will appear that will cause a high death toll in itself. This is how diplomacy is supposed to work. You better believe the U.S. state department was a major factor in lobbying for U.S. action because someone in d.c was thinking along the same lines as me. Public Choice Economics and Cost-Benefit Diplomacy. Its ust the way things work and for now it is the best way known

Ed

• (a.k.a. Max)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 07:17:48 AM »
I thought you all would appreciate this story:

So my daughter and I wore our green "Save Darfur" tee shirt and sweat top, respectively, to my son's wrestling match last night. The man who is teaching world history to my daughter asked me "What does Save Darfur mean?" I hid my shock well. I then asked him if he had heard of or seen the movie Hotel Rwanda. He told me he had heard about it but had not yet seen it. He emphasized "yet" as if he did intend to see the movie soon. At first, I was angry with him for what I thought was an irresponsible level of ignorance and apathy for a high school world history teacher. However, I quickly realized that my anger would not improve his or my daughter's education. Nor would it have helped the sons and daughters of my community who attend the same high school as my daughter and learn history from similar teachers. So, I became the teacher and taught my daughter's history instructor about Paul Rusesabagina, the history of the conflict, U.S. and U.N. policies and actions (or inactions), and a couple of other things I thought any professional educator needs to know. And, this morning I will send an email to the school principal to let her know that I would like to give a series of presentations at the school for the teachers and the students. My topics will have a "Black History" nexus. I suspect a few presentations would do some good for the school, its students, and, apparently, its teachers. I wonder what will happen next.

I am probably the only 32-year-old on this Board with a teenaged son and daughter; however, I figured everyone could take something away from this story. And, my wife and I chose to send our children to public schools instead of private schools after a lengthy deliberation. My discussion with my daughter’s history teacher prompted me to revisit the commitments that our decision entailed.

redemption

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2006, 08:56:55 AM »
I hope that you will mention the role of the church and that of it's representatives in the killing. Also that the French Army is under investigation for having actively participated in it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/rwanda/story/0,14451,1673963,00.html

Too often, a story such as this one is presented as one of ancient tribal/ethnic hatreds. It fits well into the picture of Africa that has been developed in the popular western imagination. The truth is that there was no consciousness of a "Hutu" or "Tutsi" identity until the Belgians invented it and used it to segment the population in order to rule it more easily. As we know from formal psychology experiments, labeling and dividing is a self-fulfilling prophesy. See, for example, the classic blue-eyed/brown-eyed children experiment conducted by Jane Elliott.
http://www3.niu.edu/acad/psych/Millis/History/2004/experiments.htm

If the teacher or any of the students are interested in looking further into this story of what happened in Rwanda, I would recommend Philip Gourevitch's "We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families"
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ tg/detail/-/0312243359?v=glance . It is a beautifully written, candid, careful and important book and details the story of Rusesabinga and many others.

Paul Rusesabinga is a hero of this story; but so is Romeo Dallaire, a man who tried to do his duty and was prevented from doing so.

Ed

• (a.k.a. Max)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2006, 09:22:46 AM »
Thanks Redemption. I will incorporate your feedback into the presentation I'll prepare.

Ed

• (a.k.a. Max)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2006, 11:28:00 AM »
Too often, a story such as this one is presented as one of ancient tribal/ethnic hatreds. It fits well into the picture of Africa that has been developed in the popular western imagination. The truth is that there was no consciousness of a "Hutu" or "Tutsi" identity until the Belgians invented it and used it to segment the population in order to rule it more easily.

BTW: If anyone ever has an opportunity to attend one of Rusesabagina's lectures during his Save Darfur tour, I recommend that you do. You will learn more details regarding this psychological and cultural manipulation Redemption describes above. This is certainly one of the oldest tools used by unethical economic and cultural imperialists. And, this manipulation is indeed the root cause of the genocide, as the genocide could not have occurred without it.

Paul Rusesabagina welcomes inquirers after his lectures. I spoke with him for no fewer than ten minutes to get some additional information after I had listened to his lecture at my local university. He was very forthcoming.

RockyMarciano

• Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2006, 12:47:02 PM »
The role of the Church in Rwanda made me very mad. That is why there is a massive conversion going on in Rwanda to Islam due to the autrocities that occured at the hands of the Church. In regards to Catholics, I believe Latin America has the most and Africa has the fastest growing population of Catholics. I get mad and sad at the same time. I understand the Hutu's were lacking proper political representation and were oppressed by the Belgiums and Tutsi's but their actions were for offensive purposes to exterminate the Tutsi's and not a defensive measure. We are the smartest creatures on this earth but we are the most brutal as well. Kind of weird on how advanced we have become but still have savage tendencies. 

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2006, 09:43:27 AM »
The role of the church is all the more reason to bring in the UN. The U.S. cant't hold the church or France accountable for any of their actions without international support. The U.N. needs to go in there with a STRONG OFFENSIVE MILITARY FORCE (this has never really been done effectivly)  and the General Assembly needs to look into laying down harsh criminal charges against certain individuals in the hauge. What needs to happen is for their to be an international effort to place responisbilities on the original imperial powers to at least make some attempt to manage some of the chaos of their former colonies. Things can be solved very easily if political unrest is eliminated "in  house" before it ever gets to the point of Sudan or Rwanda. People have to put pressure on the international powers for this to happen. Right now many activists are barking up the wrong tree. If you want to get the U.S. involved the best thing we could do is put pressure on the U.S. to take a strong diplomatic stand in pushing the UN to action. Bush likes harassing them anyways.