Law School Discussion

DARFUR: can we help or has our Master become...Complacency?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
DARFUR: can we help or has our Master become...Complacency?
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:32:53 PM »
it is over 20 yrs...two million dead...four million refugees...
in 2000 the committee on conscience issued a genocide watch for sudan.

widespread attacks on civilians in sudan's western region of darfur led the committee to issue a genocide emergency for darfur in 2004.

perhaps african americans and americans one and all should learn more about these conflicts by exploring what expert analysts have said in lectures... panel discussions...films but mostly interviews sponsored by the committee on conscience.

one can also find news...photos...and information about the genocide watch for the s. nuba mountains and the genocide emergency for darfur.

c. rice asked congress for 50 million dollars...did she get it? no!

naive liberals?
blinded conservatives?

again it is a call to stand up...do you care?

independents take a stand...where are you?

any indigos out there?

or has complacency become your master?

px.o.rsta

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
Re: DARFUR: can we help or has our Master become...Complacency?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 08:46:27 PM »
are hair products getting in your way?
is that new pair of shoes all that important?

how bout a little world social justice?

any thoughts?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 11:00:34 PM »
first night of complacency...

Ed

• (a.k.a. Max)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 04:30:13 AM »
bluewarrior:

We could look to moral philosophy to help us discern what should be done; however, we would be wise to look to economic theory to help us predict what will be done. Adam Smith hypothesized in 1776 that nations would have stronger empathy for one another if they were tied intimately via economic strings. Intimate economic strings do not exist between the U.S. and Sudan. And, our political economic policies with respect to Sudan reflect this lack of intimacy. Only after the world feels comfortable enough to invest in Sudan in significant ways that will enable it to compete in and contribute to the global economy will its station change for the better. Those who wish to accelerate this change in station would do well to recognize Mammon's power and go to battle against him. They should amass as much wealth as possible as quickly as possible, and help like-minded people to do the same, in order to pursue their noble ends, because if they fail to amass this power, they will force themselves to watch powerlessly, in pitiful moral anguish, as those of whom they talk so compassionately suffer further.

In today's world, talk of doing that which is right is simply too cheap. Everyone can talk. Yet, few wield enough economic might to buy microphones that are strong enough to compel many people to listen to or care about that which they are saying. And, the battles for control over economic power require more than just talk. Economic might would precede the moral correction you imply is imperative for us to carry out. While I shed tears for the slain, I know there is but one moral path for me to take. It is the path that will lead to more economic power. I simply must endeavor to control as many resources as possible as quickly as possible, because I will need such control in order to wield the only weapon that is guaranteed to work against Mammon. It is the same weapon the followers of this Demon of Avarice wield to enact injustices. All who understand just how valueless most talk is would do well to amass more economic might. Their reward for winning this economic power would be their increased abilities to influence the moral future of our world. Without substantial economic power, they might lack the resources to carry out some of their most noble moral imperatives, and they would certainly lack the ability to make a significant difference in Sudan.

I met and talked with a real hero, Mr. Paul Rusesabagina, last month after I had listened to him tell his story. For those who are not willing to or are unable to fight Mammon yet wish to walk the talk of compassion, they could contribute to the Save Darfur Coalition (http://www.savedarfur.org) or, perhaps, buy a "Save Darfur" t-shirt.

Slow Blues

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 08:17:21 AM »
This is something I have been following for a while.

Max is right. With no significant national security or economic interest in the Sudan, the U.S. government will not be compelled to act. We know that (Sub-Saharan) Africa is at the bottom of the agenda, if the blind eye that was turned to Rwanda was any indication. The media has too many other juicier stories like the Abramoff trial, Iraq, etc. to focus on Darfur. The burden then is on charitable organizations and individuals to act and fill the void as best they can.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:48:25 PM »
what do you suggest that we do?

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 07:21:24 PM »
I'm going to throw my opinion in on this one. From my experience as an analyst what does the U.S. do about Sudan? We do nothing. Sorry folks but thats super power diplomacy. Darfur isnt the only place in the world suffering. Pakistan, Nepal, Yemen, Columbia, Venezuela, Phillipenes, Korea, Mongolia, Bangladesh. No one seems to care about any of these places. If Suudan wasnt in Africa would this thread exist? The United States is still reeling from past commitments to countries that have no real signifigance to our econonomic or security outlook. Our obsolete and illegal promise to Taiwan in the Cold War is the only reason we have problems with China. How can you not condone Iraq and want to go into Sudan? Its not our place to intervene.

If you want to be mad at someone... go after the crooked the UN. If the secretary general wasn't taking kickbacks from Iraq we wouldnt be over there cleaning up that mess. Its the UN's job and they dropped the ball just like they did in Rwanda. You know assessments show less than 1000 armed peacekeepers could have contained the incident in Rwanda, but what did the UN do...nothing. What did Belguim do (it was their fault). Nothing. It wasn't our problem. The reason Bush blew of the U.N is because they wont do anything. If people started pointing fingers at the apathy of the international community instead of Bush somthing might get done.

If the United States did go into Sudan it just would be one more conflict with the Islamic community in a time of political upheaval in the region (Isreal, Iraq). Even if the U.S. did go in what would we do? End the civil war by having everyone turn against us? It would just turn into another front for jihadists and anti-western militants to take potshots at U.S. forces. People are all about sending troops in to every part of the world but lose intrest when people start getting killed. When I was in the military you have no idea how frustrating that "send in troops and its all better" mentality became. That is all I have to say.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 11:55:35 PM »
I'm going to throw my opinion in on this one. From my experience as an analyst what does the U.S. do about Sudan? We do nothing. Sorry folks but thats super power diplomacy. Darfur isnt the only place in the world suffering. Pakistan, Nepal, Yemen, Columbia, Venezuela, Phillipenes, Korea, Mongolia, Bangladesh. No one seems to care about any of these places. If Suudan wasnt in Africa would this thread exist? The United States is still reeling from past commitments to countries that have no real signifigance to our econonomic or security outlook. Our obsolete and illegal promise to Taiwan in the Cold War is the only reason we have problems with China. How can you not condone Iraq and want to go into Sudan? Its not our place to intervene.

If you want to be mad at someone... go after the crooked the UN. If the secretary general wasn't taking kickbacks from Iraq we wouldnt be over there cleaning up that mess. Its the UN's job and they dropped the ball just like they did in Rwanda. You know assessments show less than 1000 armed peacekeepers could have contained the incident in Rwanda, but what did the UN do...nothing. What did Belguim do (it was their fault). Nothing. It wasn't our problem. The reason Bush blew of the U.N is because they wont do anything. If people started pointing fingers at the apathy of the international community instead of Bush somthing might get done.

If the United States did go into Sudan it just would be one more conflict with the Islamic community in a time of political upheaval in the region (Isreal, Iraq). Even if the U.S. did go in what would we do? End the civil war by having everyone turn against us? It would just turn into another front for jihadists and anti-western militants to take potshots at U.S. forces. People are all about sending troops in to every part of the world but lose intrest when people start getting killed. When I was in the military you have no idea how frustrating that "send in troops and its all better" mentality became. That is all I have to say.

the u.n. should be on point and it has disintegrated...an overhaul is due.
aye agree with your thoughts...but some aid is truly needed in that region.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 09:48:47 AM »
The only answer is a militarized U.N. under the control of the General Assembly. Not the security council where it will be a tool for governements (including ours) to carry out alterior motives

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 05:06:55 PM »
The only answer is a militarized U.N. under the control of the General Assembly. Not the security council where it will be a tool for governements (including ours) to carry out alterior motives

true.