Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about LSDAS reports for LOR's  (Read 201 times)

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question about LSDAS reports for LOR's
« on: January 05, 2006, 09:19:52 PM »
Do they send LOR's automatically?  I thought I read that you had to order another report (which would be another $12 that I don't want to spend).

Also, I have 1 LOR from a family member that is a lawyer, I figured it couldn't hurt, but I don't have my 2 teacher's LOR's yet, although I should have it by end of next week hopefully.  Should I apply now with that one crappy LOR or wait?  Most of the schools only require 1 and that would make my app complete without the teacher's LOR's.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: Question about LSDAS reports for LOR's
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:49:40 PM »
Do they send LOR's automatically?  I thought I read that you had to order another report (which would be another $12 that I don't want to spend).

Also, I have 1 LOR from a family member that is a lawyer, I figured it couldn't hurt, but I don't have my 2 teacher's LOR's yet, although I should have it by end of next week hopefully.  Should I apply now with that one crappy LOR or wait?  Most of the schools only require 1 and that would make my app complete without the teacher's LOR's.

Okay to answer your questions,

first off, a new LOR does not require a new LSDAS report (and no new fees)
they are sent automatically, but usually not immediately, all schools have different policies with when they want LOR updates, some want updates sent on the first of every month, others want them every Monday, yet others want them on the first and the 15th of every month, it varies you get the idea

As for your application, don't send until you get at least one real LOR in - the LOR from your family member is useless (sorry :().  Obviously your uncle or whomever is only going to write the best about you, and schools know this - in effect you will be going complete with no LORs, because the family LOR will largely be ignored (since its likely biased)...
HLS '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 09:57:31 PM »

because the family LOR will largely be ignored (since its likely biased)...

unless he has a different last name

Well, if he isn't a professor, and is a lawyer, then he is either an employer, a friend, or a relative.

If his recommendation has nothing to do with work related matters, then he is clearly not an employer.

Thus, he must be a friend or a relative - either way its useless...HTH
HLS '09

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 02:32:25 AM »

because the family LOR will largely be ignored (since its likely biased)...

unless he has a different last name

Well, if he isn't a professor, and is a lawyer, then he is either an employer, a friend, or a relative.

If his recommendation has nothing to do with work related matters, then he is clearly not an employer.

Thus, he must be a friend or a relative - either way its useless...HTH

Different last name, but I figured this, reason why I got it was because my professors have been slacking and if I only was able to get 1 LOR in on time, I was going to send it off with his and a professors, now it looks like I'll have 2 professors, but I'll probably wait until either 1 or both are in depending on how soon they get in.