Law School Discussion

Let schools know an updated transcript is forthcoming?

Let schools know an updated transcript is forthcoming?
« on: January 05, 2006, 04:26:24 PM »
I'm going to have my school send out my updated transcript tomorrow with my fall grades.  Should I email the schools from which I have not heard letting them know this?  My GPA will have gone up (not a huge jump, of course, but it was a good semester nevertheless).  Thanks.

Re: Let schools know an updated transcript is forthcoming?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 05:22:22 PM »
hi dave, i've been having a (sort of) similar question.  my gpa's also gone up by just a few points, and it seems like e-mailing the schools is a good idea--particularly the schools for whom the few points may make a difference.  i'd be interested to hear what other people suggest though, too.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:28:50 PM »
I'm in the same situation - and here is what I think.  Last time I sent a transcript to LSAC, it took less than a week for LSAC to recieve it and process it, after its processed LSAC sends updates to all of your schools by the next day (so about a week total for it to be sent out).  Then new reports are mailed to all the schools, as far as I know Stanford is the farthest from LSAC (and it still takes something like 4 days to get there), so for a paper copy to arrive from the time your registrar sends an updated copy is less than two weeks.  In addition to that, when LSAC sends out a paper copy, they also send out an electronic copy to the schools.  So even if a school does not accept an electronic copy as official, they will know that an official copy is on the way, and presumably hold off on any decisions.

It seems to me that this process is so fast that emailing schools would provide little benefit.  On the other hand, if every applicant who has not yet recieved a decision (and I assume there are lots of us) emails them, then they could get annoyed by the deluge of emails saying something like:

"I did well this semester, my gpa went up .02"

Let me know what you guys think..

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 05:34:33 PM »
i'm with steve - i logged into my LSAC account and noticed that my transcript was updated yesterday...they never emailed me to say they received it like they did before...so you might want to check if you are worried about a delay....

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 05:36:32 PM »
i'm with steve - i logged into my LSAC account and noticed that my transcript was updated yesterday...they never emailed me to say they received it like they did before...so you might want to check if you are worried about a delay....

Good find - I just logged in to see my transcript was updated today (FYI I asked my registrar to send it in on Tuesday afternoon, granted my school is about 40 miles from LSAC, but still :):):))

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 05:42:50 PM »
nice!  :D

well...this means i am officially done with all things apps...horray

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 10:15:23 PM »
my schools retarded.. i did a transcript request a few days but they just processed it and sent it out today so who knows when LSAC will get it..and then who knows when the law shcools will get it

gaaaahh i am so impatient

john83

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 10:34:40 PM »
is it still the opinion of everyone to NOT notify schools of an updated transcript on the way?

my transcript just got processed by LSAC yesterday. late, i know. anyway, i'm wondering because i don't want them to rush into a decision of a rejection. although, realistically, i know that the updated transcript will likely not affect my decision whatsoever.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 10:42:02 PM »
FWIW, I sent it to a couple of schools -- just a feeling I guess more than anything else.