Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I get in at a top 20 school?  (Read 1836 times)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can I get in at a top 20 school?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 06:46:58 PM »

Why is it that minnisota is so much easier to get into than the other top 20 schools? Do people hate the cold weather that much?

Trust me, as a minnesota resident for 10 years and counting...this place is freaking COLD in the winter [which last like 6 month  ::)]

The only competition is Siberia.....

ttiwed

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 07:19:23 PM »

Why is it that minnisota is so much easier to get into than the other top 20 schools? Do people hate the cold weather that much?

yes. that and the fact the facilities management opted not to put urinal cakes in the men's restroom stalls. it stinks worse than a interstate reststop bathroom in there.

I'll bet piss freezes before it even hits the urinals :) Seriously though....anyone know the answer to this one? My guess, which probably is wrong, is that they admit a large portion of in-state residents...similar to texas, which gives the school a lower median gpa/lsat.

actually, minnesota's law school doesn't take residency into consideration. you're probably right about the cold weather thing. plus, u of minn doesn't have the name recognition like how the other top 20s do. in fact, a lot of grads are having trouble finding jobs right now.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 12:33:28 PM »
the university of minnesota, in general, is kind of a hole. the big exception is the bschool, which is really nice. but most of the other facilities are very dated and the campus is spread out across both sides of the miss river.

calvin

• 3.6 gpa, UC Berkeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 01:41:27 AM »
dang, that's too bad.  the campus looks awfully beautiful from the website.  i'm curious, though, if anyone might mind letting me know - how's the u of minn's rep within the midwest, even if it's not great throughout the rest of the us of a?  i had a friend who went to a lower ranked school (wisconsin), but was able to get a job out here in california, so i'm hoping for a slightly higher ranked school it's still got some pull around the region? 
"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."
"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"
"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."

ruskiegirl

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 10:15:57 AM »
URM

I have a friend who is off to GMU with a 159/3.8 on partial scholarship.  It's not hopeless.
Unwarranted assumption.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2004, 10:22:40 AM »
I also have two yrs of work experience with a large environmental engineering consulting firm... GMU is on my list, so thanks for the input..  I guess top 20 is out of the question.. too bad I majored in engineering (I got A's in all my other elective courses) and my lsat score wasnt stellar..I dont want to go to a tier 2.. so lower tier 1 will be my safety.. I guess                                             Oh yeah, I canceled an lsat score I took last yr.. Will that have any bearing?  PT student... is working as a consulting engineer from 9-5 and attending law school at GW too much?!?!
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

ruskiegirl

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2004, 10:28:28 AM »
I also have two yrs of work experience with a large environmental engineering consulting firm... GMU is on my list, so thanks for the input..  I guess top 20 is out of the question.. too bad I majored in engineering (I got A's in all my other elective courses) and my lsat score wasnt stellar..I dont want to go to a tier 2.. so lower tier 1 will be my safety.. I guess                                             Oh yeah, I canceled an lsat score I took last yr.. Will that have any bearing?  PT student... is working as a consulting engineer from 9-5 and attending law school at GW too much?!?!

Schools usually don't question one cancelled LSAT score.  I think it would only become problematic if you had three or more. 

Yes, working 9-5 in any setting is too much while attending a full time program. If you want to  work full time, you should probably consider a part-time law school program.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2004, 11:00:41 AM »
PT student... is working as a consulting engineer from 9-5 and attending law school at GW too much?!?!

Part time law student?  Or part time in another program, working 9-5 AND going to law school?  If it's the former, you should be ok working full time.  It's, for many, the only way possible to go to law school.  If the latter, you'll kill yourself in 2 months.  Working full time is realistically ONLY possible in a part time program.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004, 11:06:42 AM »
Im asking any part time students if its feasible to do well in a pt program at GW while working a 9-5 job that is very demanding... I would be interested in transfering after the 1st year, but I know the 1st year is usually the toughest, and I wouldnt want to start out with a lower gpa.. Would it be wise, in other words, to go to a better school in a part time program.. or a lesser school as a full time student and focus all your energy on your studies..

Ive had my mind set on GW from the start and was told by an admissions counselor that i needed a 165 to have an "excellent" chance of getting in.. unfortunately, I didnt get two more of my guesses correct on the lsat and got a 163.. so, Im considering applying part time as I know its easier to get in..

hope this clears things up a bit
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

ruskiegirl

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2004, 11:20:39 AM »
You cannot hold a demanding 9-5 job while going to school full time at GW and still expect to have a GPA high enough to transfer to a better school. 

Looks like your best bet at this point it to go to GW's part time program.  That is, assuming you insist on keeping this job.  If the job is not essential, I would apply for full time programs and go to the best school you get admitted to.