Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS  (Read 89617 times)

Laurenrae52

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HLS
« Reply #790 on: May 17, 2006, 11:38:13 PM »
SU -- so good to hear that.  I HATE those wind tunnels.  If I can survive those, I guess I can deal with Cambridge.  I grew up in Texas - so it took me forever to get used to anything less than 50 degrees...
Harvard Law School, Class of 2009

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 18, 2006, 09:33:41 AM »
SU -- so good to hear that.  I HATE those wind tunnels.

I honestly think that that was a part of my decision against NYU.  I visited in March and it was so cold I wanted to cry.  I've never been that uncomfortable in the Boston area.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 20, 2006, 02:42:22 PM »
bump and such.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 20, 2006, 07:24:12 PM »
Glad to be able to post on this thread :)

For those of you living in the dorms, is anyone bringing a car?  Is there available street parking by the school, or are there lots, or maybe reasonably priced private garages?
HLS '09

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 20, 2006, 07:42:37 PM »

For those of you living in the dorms, is anyone bringing a car?  Is there available street parking by the school, or are there lots, or maybe reasonably priced private garages?

Hey steve. Just wanted to extend my belated congrats.

Regarding parking, cambridge is not a very parking friendly place. However, as a cambridge resident, you can get a cambridge parking sticker and take advantage of the on-street resident parking spots. That said, I don't know how convenient or feasible this will be. Perhaps some current students or others who have investigated this option in more depth can chime in.

I will likely be living off campus and will try to find a place with parking.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: May 20, 2006, 07:57:10 PM »
Anybody really big on a particular professor or two at HLS?  I've been reading up on a bunch and looking at some of the bios and there are a couple of professors I really want to get a class with:

Goldsmith
Manning
Glendon
Levinson (Darryl)

Anyone other big on any of the non-Tribe/Fried types?
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 20, 2006, 09:49:50 PM »

Congratulations!  I hope this means I can meet you next year, this is great news.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 20, 2006, 10:09:57 PM »

Thanks! :)

Congratulations!  I hope this means I can meet you next year, this is great news.

Of course we must meet!  LSDers stick together ;)
HLS '09

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 20, 2006, 10:34:05 PM »

Regarding parking, cambridge is not a very parking friendly place. However, as a cambridge resident, you can get a cambridge parking sticker and take advantage of the on-street resident parking spots. That said, I don't know how convenient or feasible this will be. Perhaps some current students or others who have investigated this option in more depth can chime in.

Getting a Cambridge street permit requires having a Massachusetts drivers license with Cambridge address, having your car registered in Mass, and of course paying for Massachusetts insurance rates. There is probably some backhanded way of getting around this (finding some Cambridge resident to buy you a permit, probably) but you'd have to check that out, Steve.jd.

If you live in North Hall, there is on site parking, not sure how hard it is to get. Some of the affiliated complexes also have on site parking (29 Garden, One Western Ave, those 2 I know, I'm sure there are others). The general idea I got was that having a car is a huge pain, so I'm gonna take a deep breath and try leaving mine at home for at least the first semester.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

dw05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 21, 2006, 08:50:51 AM »

Getting a Cambridge street permit requires having a Massachusetts drivers license with Cambridge address, having your car registered in Mass, and of course paying for Massachusetts insurance rates. There is probably some backhanded way of getting around this (finding some Cambridge resident to buy you a permit, probably) but you'd have to check that out, Steve.jd.

If you live in North Hall, there is on site parking, not sure how hard it is to get. Some of the affiliated complexes also have on site parking (29 Garden, One Western Ave, those 2 I know, I'm sure there are others). The general idea I got was that having a car is a huge pain, so I'm gonna take a deep breath and try leaving mine at home for at least the first semester.

I think I've figured out that if you're in a dorm other than North, your Harvard parking options consist solely of a rather expensive garage across the river.  I may have missed some loophole, but it doesn't look good.
I'm going to Harvard!