Law School Discussion

HLS

practiceboy02

• Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
HLS
« on: January 05, 2006, 10:38:51 AM »
Since there's already a thread for YLS...

Is anyone else leaning towards HLS at this point in the cycle?  I'm still waiting on Stanford and Columbia, but I'm doubtful that I'll end up being swayed

Ella

Re: HLS
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 10:43:54 AM »
Since there's already a thread for YLS...

Is anyone else leaning towards HLS at this point in the cycle?  I'm still waiting on Stanford and Columbia, but I'm doubtful that I'll end up being swayed

me me me!!  :D   although I am still open to being swayed, so Yale, if there're some sweet nothings you'd like to whisper in my ear, you know where to find me...  ;)

practiceboy02

• Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 10:46:31 AM »
Lol, are you seriously considering any of your other schools at this point?  Are you going to any of the admit weekends at HLS?

Ella

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 10:53:32 AM »
Lol, are you seriously considering any of your other schools at this point?  Are you going to any of the admit weekends at HLS?

Yeah, I'm still considering NYU & Columbia because I HEART NYC...  :D  U of Chicago also has some appeal....   I'm going to visit HLS during their first admit weekend, March 11-13.  Yale I'm not sure about yet.  Their open house is in April and that gets dangerously close to the time I need to make a decision, so I might just go right after HLS or something. 

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 11:00:45 AM »

Yeah, I'm still considering NYU & Columbia because I HEART NYC...  :D  U of Chicago also has some appeal....   I'm going to visit HLS during their first admit weekend, March 11-13.  Yale I'm not sure about yet.  Their open house is in April and that gets dangerously close to the time I need to make a decision, so I might just go right after HLS or something. 

(lol, I promise I'm not stalking you)

IMO, you should really try to visit during the admit weekends.  Yes, there is more hype, but it is important that you get to meet the people with whom you will be spending the next 3 years (this is especially the case at Yale, where almost the entire admitted class shows up).  Additionally, you will have easier access to profs, students, and administrators this way.  If you come on a regular day you will not get nearly as much useful information as you would during regular admit weekend...and that would be a shame.

LAS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:51:43 AM »
I'm also leaning towards HLS at this point. I'd (heart) to hear from Yale, but its unlikely that I'll get in. I'm torn about NYU, since it has an outstanding international law program, and I really love New York.

Anybody know when the second admit weekend is at HLS? I know the first is March 11, but I forget the April date. What is the decision date anyways?

Ella

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 11:54:13 AM »

IMO, you should really try to visit during the admit weekends.  Yes, there is more hype, but it is important that you get to meet the people with whom you will be spending the next 3 years (this is especially the case at Yale, where almost the entire admitted class shows up).  Additionally, you will have easier access to profs, students, and administrators this way.  If you come on a regular day you will not get nearly as much useful information as you would during regular admit weekend...and that would be a shame.

*lol*  If you are stalking me on behalf of YLS, you should let me know- I'd be flattered...  :D ;) :D

I'm a little concerned about postponing my visit there until April, since the seat deposit is due by May 1st at most schools.  That doesn't leave much time for deliberations... I see your point and I agree with it but still, I wish they held one in March like HLS does.

BTW, how many get admitted to YLS each year? (I know the class size, but I'm curious to know how many offers of admissions are made)

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 12:23:09 PM »
IIRC Yale usually admits around 250 per year.

I'm not sure I could be said to be leaning in any direction at the moment (a couple of key factors still being up in the air), but if I am, it's probably towards HLS.

So, tag.   :D

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 12:43:19 PM »

*lol*  If you are stalking me on behalf of YLS, you should let me know- I'd be flattered...  :D ;) :D

I'm a little concerned about postponing my visit there until April, since the seat deposit is due by May 1st at most schools.  That doesn't leave much time for deliberations... I see your point and I agree with it but still, I wish they held one in March like HLS does.

BTW, how many get admitted to YLS each year? (I know the class size, but I'm curious to know how many offers of admissions are made)

Around 240 are admitted each year...probably less this season, since they somewhat overenrolled last season and sent out an e-mail asking people to defer.

I think you will have enough time to deliberate despite the lateness of YLS's weekend.  If you know what it would take to convince you not to go to Harvard, then you can come to Yale prepared to see if they meet that standard.  Lol, a lot of people brought their checkbooks to the Yale weekend for this reason.  Since they knew it would be YLS or the other school, and they had already visited the other school and knew what it would take to convince them not to go there, they knew the YLS admit weekend would be the deciding point.  A lot of people wrote checks (myself included) ;)

Anyway, I'm done trolling on the Harvard thread.

Congrats and have fun, HLSers!  Your library is magnificent, I must admit.

John Galt

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 01:25:32 PM »
I have to say that Yale is more on point in terms of having people explain the school. I mean I haven't heard from any HLS students, but the president of the BLSA at Yale was very helpful and he put me in contact with another girl from Yale's BLSA. Between those two and alci, agitator, and Mobelle, I feel more comfortable with what to expect at Yale. Plus I'm starting to have dreams where I'm scrooge and I went to Harvard. Then a ghost shows me what life would've been like if I went to yale and it was sooo much better...my sub conscious trying to tell me something.