Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: need access question  (Read 540 times)

notfamous

• View Profile
need access question
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:22:26 AM »
For those of you who already finished the need access forms, what did you put for the dates that your parents and you sumbitted your 1040s to the schools? Did you just estimate the date or leave it blank? I'm going to get my taxes done as soon as possible after I get my W2s, 1099s, etc, but I don't know when I'll be receiving the forms so I don't know when I'll be able to finish my taxes yet.

Also, was anyone else a bit mystified as to why there are questions about "unusual" parental medical expenses and elder care expenses on the student portion of the forms? Should that type of question be on the parental portion?

Thanks!

Slow Blues

Re: need access question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:09:30 AM »
I left the dates blank, as I recall.

I think they ask the question because of a lot of people our age are providing some level of support for parents' medical expenses. Health care is outrageously expensive and if you're giving your parents $100 or $200 a month so they can afford their medication, it's something that really ought to be considered when doling out financial aid.

notfamous

• View Profile
Re: need access question
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »
The questions actually wants to know about medical expenses and elder care expenses paid by your parents, not for your parents. If it was expenses paid for your parents, that would make a lot more sense.

I called Need Access this morning and they said to estimate the date that the forms would be sent to the schools.