Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is a good/bad EFC?  (Read 4821 times)

Slow Blues

Re: What is a good/bad EFC?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 09:15:49 AM »
Somehow I get the impression the boy is not a grad student.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 09:31:25 AM »
oh ok well someone said "you are in ls for 8 years" because he said he filled out the fafsa 8 years now.....i just wanted to point out for people who might not have taken loans or grants for UG that it is filled out for that as well...was giving him benefit of doubt about grad school...maybe he was in UG for 8 years  :D
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

Fafsa

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 12:39:01 PM »
oh ok well someone said "you are in ls for 8 years" because he said he filled out the fafsa 8 years now.....i just wanted to point out for people who might not have taken loans or grants for UG that it is filled out for that as well...was giving him benefit of doubt about grad school...maybe he was in UG for 8 years  :D

I beleive Lily's comment ("You've been in law school for 8 years?") was a sarcastic attempt to point out that the financial information demanded by law schools differs from the financial information demanded by other institutions.  Therefore, unless one has been in law school for those 8 years, his/her experience in dealing with financial aid is irrelevant.

While FAFSA's response to Lily's position is technically correct (both that the thread began by asking about the FAFSA and that nothing other than the FAFSA is required for federal aid), it is unhelpful.  Federal Aid alone cannot cover the cost of law school (unless you are in-state at a cheap school).  Furthermore, the question about parental information arose in an earlier discussion of institutional aid forms.  I think everyone is aware that the FAFSA doesn't require married couples or people over 24 to include their parents' info, but institutional forms often do, and institutional aid will be a neccessity for most of us.

That said, I stand by my earlier position that the OP will not have to reveal parental information on any form becuase of the length of time that he has been independant.  Again, the harshest requirement I have heard thus far is that one must not have been claimed as a dependant for 5 years (so yes, FAFSA, even a married applicant with children would have to provide parental information if he/she recieved parental support within the previous 5 years).  I am certain that thescreed meets this criteria.

Institutional aid...very limited.  You acquire private outside loans approved by the law school to make ends meet.  EFC does not matter for these... its all about your FICO score.  Mommy and Daddy still don't matter.   I appreciate the use of the interpreter... I guess the dialect of stupid is only spoken in the threads where there are so many with heads up their asses.

For the math challenged.  4 years UG+ 2 years MBA + 2 years LS= 8

HTH

no_name123

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 12:45:14 PM »
well while we're on the subject, i've been wondering about something. will i be able to just report my mom's income? all thru undergrad, i had an efc of 0 (she's chronically unemployed). wonder if i can just put her info on there? or will they want the last couple years of my info too?

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 12:48:02 PM »
"For the math challenged.  4 years UG+ 2 years MBA + 2 years LS= 8"

that is what i thought

though....what is with registering and deleting... ::)

Slow Blues

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »

Ah yes, the final retort of someone who can't put together a legitmate argument. ::)

Go back to Xoxo.

You tell that troll to get back in the hole with the rest of 'em!! :) lol

zenpeaceofmind

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 04:47:22 PM »

I beleive Lily's comment ("You've been in law school for 8 years?") was a sarcastic attempt to point out that the financial information demanded by law schools differs from the financial information demanded by other institutions.  Therefore, unless one has been in law school for those 8 years, his/her experience in dealing with financial aid is irrelevant.

While FAFSA's response to Lily's position is technically correct (both that the thread began by asking about the FAFSA and that nothing other than the FAFSA is required for federal aid), it is unhelpful.  Federal Aid alone cannot cover the cost of law school (unless you are in-state at a cheap school).  Furthermore, the question about parental information arose in an earlier discussion of institutional aid forms.  I think everyone is aware that the FAFSA doesn't require married couples or people over 24 to include their parents' info, but institutional forms often do, and institutional aid will be a neccessity for most of us.

That said, I stand by my earlier position that the OP will not have to reveal parental information on any form becuase of the length of time that he has been independant.  Again, the harshest requirement I have heard thus far is that one must not have been claimed as a dependant for 5 years (so yes, FAFSA, even a married applicant with children would have to provide parental information if he/she recieved parental support within the previous 5 years).  I am certain that thescreed meets this criteria.

Actually, that's not true. U. Penn requires parental information regardless of the number of years you have been independent until you are 30 YEARS OF AGE. I'll be 28, and have been independent since during UG, and that's just insane.

:P

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 11:09:36 PM »
Well, I can tell you what a really BAD EFC is, because I just filled out my FAFSA: $17,270.  This is almost exactly 1/2 of my take home pay for 2005.  I guess they just assume either you live like a student (or monk) already or you will sell your house and have the money that way.  I am really glad I do not rent or I would be unable to even consider law school.  As it is, selling my house and car might get me close ... tell me again about those LSAT whore TTT schools with lots of money!!

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 11:35:58 PM »
yea 10k here...almost 1/3 of my gross income  >:(

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2006, 02:26:29 PM »
Same with me. Mine's like 13K.

As I said to my mom this weekend: "What kind of crack were they smoking when they thought that formula up? Do they expect me not to eat?" It's almost half of my take-home pay, after insurance and withholdings. Because my rent + utilities is almost equal to that much, nevermind my car insurance and gas and such.

And really, I'm not sinking money into a house until I know where I'm going to be living.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split