Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Students in their 30s  (Read 2617 times)

Wescline

• View Profile
Re: Law Students in their 30s
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 03:40:19 PM »
Where are you all going?

jgruber

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 03:43:18 PM »
Nashville School of Law, non-ABA night part-time school, est. 1911

nathanielmark

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 03:44:21 PM »
28 now, if all goes well and i am admitted, i will be 29 when i start (Part time) so 33 when i graduate.  i am working in IT services.

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 04:04:14 PM »
I'm 36 now, and with a very comfortable career (12 years) and supporting a family.  I'm giving up an $80K salary for start law school in 2005, and will graduate when I'm close to 41.

But I'm a little different than most in that I didn't start my undergrad until I was 33.  After HS I did nothing substantial for 5 years (waiter & bartender), but at age 21 I started a career in the commercial insurance industry that I've been in for 12 full-time years.

It was finally going to college (FT while working FT) that changed my life drastically.  When I first got the sense that I could go to a good law school and succeed at it, everything just snowballed from there. 

The decision to change careers is never easy, and to go down this path is daunting, yes, but it is going to be rewarded big time for all of us - and not just because of the $$. 

Not to discount the experiences of those still in their early 20s, but however tremendous this accomplishment is for them, it is even moreso for us in our 30s and up.

Lots of parallels, my friend!  I, too started college after a 12-year successful career.  I just graduated in May, Summa Cum Laude, at the age of 44.  Starting LS next month - I can't tell you how excited I am about this new start, and I've never felt so optimistic, so hopeful, so ... young!

Best of luck to you all.

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 04:38:41 PM »
I'll be 40 when I start, too.

In some people's eyes, it will be my first career. But that is only because some people don't think my chosen profession (motherhood) is a career. I intend to remain in my original profession while also being a lawyer.

Dante Hicks

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whatchoo lookin at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 04:43:34 PM »
I'm 35 now, I'll be about 39 when I get outta LS.  Law isn't my first career but it'll be my last.

Just finishing up my BS degree now.

Yes I know..for shame.
One day it was so cold in Chicago that the lawyers had their hands in their own pockets.

EnglishToLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bow ties: quintessential legal fashion accessories
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 05:08:31 PM »
Thirty-six here. Closing in on thirty-eight when (and if) I begin LS.

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 08:49:20 PM »
30 now, will start in a few weeks (holy *&^%).  Will be my third career, and with all that debt, better be my last.
it's coming...

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 09:27:55 PM »
I'm 36 now, and with a very comfortable career (12 years) and supporting a family.  I'm giving up an $80K salary for start law school in 2005, and will graduate when I'm close to 41.

But I'm a little different than most in that I didn't start my undergrad until I was 33.  After HS I did nothing substantial for 5 years (waiter & bartender), but at age 21 I started a career in the commercial insurance industry that I've been in for 12 full-time years.

It was finally going to college (FT while working FT) that changed my life drastically.  When I first got the sense that I could go to a good law school and succeed at it, everything just snowballed from there. 

The decision to change careers is never easy, and to go down this path is daunting, yes, but it is going to be rewarded big time for all of us - and not just because of the $$. 

Not to discount the experiences of those still in their early 20s, but however tremendous this accomplishment is for them, it is even moreso for us in our 30s and up.

Lots of parallels, my friend!  I, too started college after a 12-year successful career.  I just graduated in May, Summa Cum Laude, at the age of 44.  Starting LS next month - I can't tell you how excited I am about this new start, and I've never felt so optimistic, so hopeful, so ... young!

Best of luck to you all.

Hey Flecktone:  Good for US!!

Where are you attending?

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2004, 09:56:36 PM »
40.  will be attending 4 year non ABA law school.  Third career change.  Don't expect to pass the bar before 45.  I like those 5 year plans everybody asks of you. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..