Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Students in their 30s  (Read 2583 times)

blair_17

• View Profile
    • Email
Law Students in their 30s
« on: July 19, 2004, 11:45:18 AM »
I am just curious if there are any returning NON-Traditional students who are going to law school as their second or third career.

jgruber

Re: Law Students in their 30s
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 11:47:40 AM »
30's.  I remember my 30's, I think.

There are many over 30 people on this forum.

I expect to be 53 when I graduate.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 11:52:07 AM »
I will be in my 30s by the time I get out of law school (if I ever make it to law school...), and law will be my 2nd career.  I currently work in IT.
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 11:55:41 AM »
I'm 39 and will be 40 when I begin ls in Fall 2005.  I don't have data to confirm this, but it seems that the average age of law students is trending upwards.

buster

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 12:06:57 PM »
I'm 31 now and intend to start law school in Fall 2005. It will be my second, third or fourth career, depending who's doing the counting.  ;)

Wescline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 12:15:12 PM »
I just turned 29 and am starting law school this Fall. I am currently a journalist. I think it is more common for people to get out of college and work for a while before returning to Law School.

Palaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 12:19:47 PM »
I'm 29 and when I start law school I will be 30.  This will be my second career change. 

dubris

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 12:24:30 PM »

I will be 28 when I start law school. I am currently an engineer so it will be a big career change,

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 02:00:28 PM »
I'm 36 now, and with a very comfortable career (12 years) and supporting a family.  I'm giving up an $80K salary for start law school in 2005, and will graduate when I'm close to 41.

But I'm a little different than most in that I didn't start my undergrad until I was 33.  After HS I did nothing substantial for 5 years (waiter & bartender), but at age 21 I started a career in the commercial insurance industry that I've been in for 12 full-time years.

It was finally going to college (FT while working FT) that changed my life drastically.  When I first got the sense that I could go to a good law school and succeed at it, everything just snowballed from there. 

The decision to change careers is never easy, and to go down this path is daunting, yes, but it is going to be rewarded big time for all of us - and not just because of the $$. 

Not to discount the experiences of those still in their early 20s, but however tremendous this accomplishment is for them, it is even moreso for us in our 30s and up.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 02:09:55 PM »

I will be 28 when I start law school. I am currently an engineer so it will be a big career change,

Same here. 27 year old engineer starting Law School this fall.  I'll be 30 when I graduate...where does the time go?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston