Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cartoon PS.  (Read 3594 times)

Nylo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon PS.
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2004, 11:36:18 AM »
Unless you're Art Spiegelman or some prominent New Yorker cartoonist, you should probably think twice before doing a cartoon PS. Not because it's an inherently horrible idea, but because you may not have what it takes to pull it off gracefully.

That said, it really annoys me when people automatically respond to a think-outside-the-box idea with "You can't do that because So-and-So said so <insert horrified gasp here>!" Please. I think what adcoms are trying to say is that gimmicks generally do not work because there is such a fine line between being innovative and being cheesy that most people who try fall flat on their face. Also, adcoms are people too and their reaction to your "masterpiece" is so subjective that you will be taking a huge gamble. Your awe-inspiring originality and insight may bring the dean of Harvard to his knees as he is re-experiencing life anew through your eyes, just as the dean of Yale may be choking on his morning coffee because your PS is the dumbest thing he's ever seen. Seeing that lawyers are generally a very conservative bunch who leans more towards tradition than not, are you willing to take the risk?

In Moogle's case, since HYS are reach schools for him anyway, why the hell not?

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2004, 11:55:35 AM »
I just don't think it's possible to say as much about yourself in a cartoon as one can say in a standard, written personal statement.  Now if you wrote a full length comic book, you might have something worthwhile.  Assuming, of course, that I was the one granting you admission.

P.S.  Don't put Wolverine on the cover.  He is so overused.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 12:12:52 PM »
Using Wolverine would be a copyright infringement.

Depending on how my LSATs go, I might use a cartoon PS for HYS.  I have nothing to lose for those REACHHHHHH (and I mean REACH!) schools anyways.  I believe a cartoon can be strategic in the sense that it will convey to the admission council that I can draw, I am bold, and I can be creative. 

To Jacy, I think you have a preset notion that cartoons are plain silly and immature.  I have to disagree, I think cartoons can be both comedic and intelligent, like the Simpsons.  And, although The Daily Show is not a cartoon, it is another example of a show that is both funny and smart.     
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 12:19:46 PM »
Comedy is overrated.  Everyone should be serious in their personal statements.  Upbeat, but serious, as is appropriate for the profession of law.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2004, 12:23:14 PM »
Comedy is overrated.  Everyone should be serious in their personal statements.  Upbeat, but serious, as is appropriate for the profession of law.

Agreed, and chances are you are just about as funny as the rest of us, which happens to be not very funny at all.

Ginatio

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2004, 12:23:53 PM »
being smart, funny, and creative is one thing... but putting your personal statement in cartoon form does nothing to show adcoms that you are mature and ready to study the law and become a lawyer. if you ask me, it shows that when you're faced with a serious task, you choose to approach that task in a jocular manner. it's very risky and i doubt too many adcoms would be impressed.

that said, you mention that HYS are reach schools anyway, so you might as well try it, right? ... maybe... but given that your scores may not be in their higher percentiles, the cartoonish personal statement may be the last straw...

just my opinion

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
edit
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2004, 02:40:12 PM »
edit

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2004, 02:47:10 PM »
I just feel that it must be extremely boring for the admissions council to read all those personal statements.  Although personal, these statements will pretty much be the same.  Everyone is trying to convey their positive traits in their letter, such as diligence, intelligence, tenacity, etc.  I mean how many virtues are there anyways?  Although the content is different, the message is always the same. For example, one might write that they worked and studied at the same time or that they obtained a high GPA in the most difficult program, either way, the writer is trying to say they are hard working.  I personally believe that the admissions council can easily deduce one's abilities from the transcript and LSAT score alone.  Consider the various scenarios: 1) taking 6 courses in a semester and getting all A's, 2) getting all A's in quantitative courses and B's in humanities or vice versa, 3) scoring perfect on the RC section but missing half of the questions on the LG section, and etc.  These are all clear signals of one's ability and they are much more vivid--as well as authentic--than any words can portray.    

I believe, in most cases, the PS is just a check against the student's writing skill and vocabulary, therefore, as long as you don't write "me want in Harvard now!!" you will be fine.  I want my PS to stand out so that I don't get lost in the numbers, especially since my numbers will not be above the 75th percentile.  I think a savvy cartoon might just be able accomplish that.  I admit that I'm not the funniest of people, but that's where my cute and bunny-like girlfriend comes in  ;).
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

Ginatio

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2004, 02:54:34 PM »
how are you going to demonstrate your writing skills in a cartoon?

I believe, in most cases, the PS is just a check against the student's writing skill and vocabulary, therefore, as long as you don't write "me want in Harvard now!!" you will be fine.  I want my PS to stand out so that I don't get lost in the numbers, especially since my numbers will not be above the 75th percentile.  I think a savvy cartoon might just be able accomplish that.  I admit that I'm not the funniest of people, but that's where my cute and bunny-like girlfriend comes in  ;).

jgruber

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2004, 02:55:46 PM »
A cartoon might be entertaining and it may give the adcomm a break, but that is not the same thing as getting you into the school of your choice.

Let me ask it this way.  Would you give a judge a cartoon as a brief?