Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cartoon PS.  (Read 3598 times)

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon PS.
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2004, 02:59:49 PM »
I used to work as an adcomm at a b-school and I can tell you adcomms do discuss apps with other adcomms/schools.  Though it's not usually done in an identifying way (Joe Blow submitted the dumbest app, for instance, is rarely actually stated), comments such as, "I reviewed the craziest app the other day.  This app submitted a personal statement about how he 'gave birth' to a landscaping business.  Just the way he put it made me laugh." or "I actually read a PS in which the app said he was only applying because his daddy made him and was an alum!"

I've no doubt adcomms share stories, and if you're submitting to more than one school, they'll usually find out.
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon PS.
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »
how are you going to demonstrate your writing skills in a cartoon?

I believe having A's in humanity courses like Philosophy and English Lit is more representative of your writing abilities.  It goes back to my point of the transcript being more transparent of one's abilities.  I am also sure that the admissions council is well aware of the various editing services out there and hence do not give much weight to personal statements.  This is all the more reason to make your letter stand out.  I'm sure when a person sees straight A's on a transcript and a cartoon PS, they will realize the person's intention to lighten the mood rather than the person being mentally challenged...

Some of you do raise good points, I believe that a supplemental comic to a written PS will best serve my intentions.  Thx.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.