Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: St Louis University  (Read 1252 times)

regional

• View Profile
    • Email
St Louis University
« on: January 03, 2006, 10:27:02 PM »
SLU -- anyone decided?  Also, St Louis living arrangement assistance would be much appreciated...

Benashja

• AOL Instant Messenger - JustJoshing11
    • View Profile
Re: St Louis University
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 11:11:17 PM »
I'm hopeful for SLU, but haven't heard back yet... I'm expecting any day now...
Touchdown (accepted): Rutgers-Newark, Saint Louis, Michigan State, Albany, Gonzaga ($5500), Tulsa ($10000), Florida Coastal ($12000)
3 and Out (waitlisted): Penn State, Case Western
Fumble (rejected): Denver, Miami, IUPUI

moonchigger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 11:13:44 PM »
same here, hopefully will find out in the next week or so.  I'm really considering health care law so it would be great for that.  If you just search for St. Louis apartments it looks obnoxiously cheap, my wife found a 3 bedroom 1500 square foot townhome just minutes away from the campus for like $800  :o

regional

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 10:47:13 AM »
The SLU admissions office was amazingly helpful with advice on where to live, hotels, etc -- they even sent me a map of the airport.  But heading up there in March to check out the school and surrounding apts..

Anyone heading to the visit March 3rd?

Benashja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 10:52:32 PM »
The other day SLU called me and I spoke to the assistant director of admissions who told me that the committee liked my file but wanted to make sure my grades went up this past Fall.  Apparently it is going to be reviewed again on Feb 1st.  She was very friendly (unlike Denver), answered all of my questions very directly, and gave me a really good feeling about everything.  If I get in after this "deferral" I will almost certainly be visiting -- probably March 3rd.  I don't really know much about the school.
Touchdown (accepted): Rutgers-Newark, Saint Louis, Michigan State, Albany, Gonzaga ($5500), Tulsa ($10000), Florida Coastal ($12000)

Benashja

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 03:54:00 PM »
IN at SLU!!   ;D

BearGirl

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 12:50:54 PM »
I just got my packet, too!   :)  St. Louis is definitely in my top 5.  If they would have thrown any small amount of $ at me, I would be sold.  I'll most likely go if they give me a really nice fin. aid package.

regional

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 10:20:26 AM »
Alright -- well my tution deposit is paid -- also signed a lease sort of thing -- curious to see what everyone else will be doing about housing?  Seems I might be paying too much, but seeing how I know next to nothing about STL, just might have to bite it this year and find something better next.

himay

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 10:24:34 AM »
SLU -- anyone decided?  Also, St Louis living arrangement assistance would be much appreciated...

I'm from St Louis and lived about 4 or 5 minutes from SLU when I lived there.  I would recommend finding the Riverfront Times (probably www.rft.com or something).  It's an alternative newspaper (not the mainstream STL Post-Dispatch), and it will probably have a lot of good places near SLU.  Also, live along South Grand if you can.  SLU is on North Grand, but it's just a busride straight down the street to get there, AND ALL the best restaurants in St. Louis (Thai, Vietnamese, etc.) are on South Grand and in the South Grand area.  Another nice area close to St. Louis is Soulard.  Keep in mind that SLU is IN the city.  It is not rural, and it's not in the burbs, like Washington University in STL.  So, if you want to live close to campus, you'll be living in the city, and some of the areas can be rough.

Good luck!

juliegirl

• AOL Instant Messenger - julie02h
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - humor_meeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 12:54:14 AM »
I have to say..at one point I was kind of a rankings snob and didn't consider SLU. HOWEVER, I visited the school and everyone is sooooo incredibly nice, all of the students (and I spoke to a ton) seem to genuinely like the school--additionally the comraderie among students is amazing. It's almost like a high school in that everyone seems to know and hang out with everyone else. I really, really got a good impression of the school (compared to the bad impression I got on Mizzou, which is generally ranked higher). Even with the opportunity to attend ivies and quasi-ivies, I still am seriously considering SLU--of course, I'm interested in public interest so law school rankings and salary prospects are not as important to me. I would seriously consider the school. If nothing else, if you work hard and climb to the top of your class at SLU and participate in several extra-curricular activities, that can look better than another kid saddled in the middle of his class at some higher ranked state school or something. Quality of life means a lot to me.

Also, in response to another poster--Wash U is like 2 miles from SLU. It's still very much "in the city" IMO.
:)-Baylor($$$$), Missouri ($$$), Quinnipiac ($$$$), George Mason, USD, Richmond
:(- None
Waiting- U. Florida, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, U. Georgia, Penn State, Hofstra, Wash U-STL, SLU