Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn v. Cardozo  (Read 1640 times)

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brooklyn v. Cardozo
« on: January 03, 2006, 10:11:46 PM »
just curious to what anyone had to say about these two schools

I am from NYC, and hopefully will be back here for law school (in boston for UG right now). i plan on visiting both schools.  they are both ranked the same, cardozo in a better location (according to me, i perfer manhattan). since i may get dinged at fordham but brooklyn is more of a safety and i was accpeted to Cardozo already I was wondering if anyone could give me any input about the two schools when pitted against each other

many thanks,
Suzie
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

RJR

Re: Brooklyn v. Cardozo
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 10:45:58 PM »
In my opinion, Cardozo is the better of the two.  I also applied to both and would pick Cardozo over Brooklyn not only because of location but also because of reputation. 

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 01:04:11 AM »
I'm a Brooklyn Law student (who did get accepted to Fordham by the way, but took the cash at Brooklyn instead), so take my opinion for what it is worth.... First off, it makes me cringe when I hear that ill-fated phrase that people prefer Cardozo b/c of its "reputation." The fact is, Cardozo came on the scene in the 70s & was supposed to shoot itself into the 1st tier. However, they simply haven't. Seems to me like they just keep saying "We'll be there in 2 more years" without actually backing it up with results. They have been "on the verge" of the top 50 for about 10 years now and I imagine that is where they will stay. Furthermore, since Brooklyn has over 100 years of experience, we have a more extensive alumni network. The university has excellent contacts w/ lots of top corporations and if you stop into the career center when you visit, you'll see evidence of just how deep their connections run.

In terms of location, Brooklyn law is in a gorgeous neighborhood. Brooklyn Heights is the envy of all other areas of Brooklyn. Yeh, it isn't Manhattan, but it's nicer than MANY areas of Manhattan. I never visited Dozo, but I can tell you after visiting Fordham that Brooklyn Heights is a much nicer place to live. It's safe and if you take a 10 minute walk to the Promenade you'll see why I am so fond of the area. Also, Brooklyn has just built a brand-new 22 story apartment building: Feil Hall. I am one of the students living in it in its first year. The apartments are huge (and full furnished might I add). There's also a really nice cafe downstairs.

OK, well thats a long enough campaign statement from me. If you have questions, PM me.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

Slow Blues

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 09:08:57 AM »
For what it's worth, I applied to Brooklyn but not to Cardozo for similar reasons. Attorneys I spoke to seemed to know more about Brooklyn and didn't have all that much to say about Cardozo. This is not to say that Cardozo is a bad school; just that they weren't too familar with it.

Brooklyn's location is definitely gorgeous; that's a place I could see myself for the next three years. Brooklyn Heights is one of the nicest areas in the city, bar none. Cardozo's location is cool too; it's basically where NYU is. If you like being in the Village, you'll like Cardozo's location.

It'll probably come down to personal preferences. You should just wait until you get your decisions/scholarship packages and then compare.

as436

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 12:35:45 PM »
yea brooklyn's reputation is so great that they have to mass mail and practically beg people to apply... i would take cardozo over brooklyn any day..

look at cardozo's faculty - you'll be impressed with some of the names you will find.. and they are actually ranked top 5 in US News for IP law and for arbitration.. cardozo IS on the rise - last year kids that went to Brooklyn had about a 160 avg from my school (cornell), while Cardozo kids had a 164 with a higher GPA.. they are attracting higher quality applicants which will result in higher ranking, which will result in a better reputation..

Read top-law-schools.com:  Cardozo teaches theory, while brooklyn law teaches practical law.. which way do you think top school teach law?

plus would you really want to go to a school that the lawyer in My Cousin Vinnie went to (presumably the producers made him go to Brooklyn Law to show his inapptitude)?

yes brooklyn law has been around for a 100 years and im sure more lawyers and judges recognize it... but what do they recognize it for? For being a bad school?
ann arbor or palo alto next year.. cu in school biatches

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=as436

http://cornell.facebook.com/profile.php?id=403139 - send me a message if you are going to UMich next year

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 01:05:29 PM »
I gotta say I'm a little taken back after reading that ridiculous post. I'll just reply for a minute, but won't indulge him too much further since I have an exam Jan 10th (postpostponed b/c of the MTA strike) & I need to get back to outlining.

Apparently as436 takes active recruitment to be a sign of weakness. You say that Cardozo is on the rise, however Brooklyn is the one that is really moving up and we have some actual proof: The rankings themselves! We have made a big jump and are currently tied w/ Dozo. The reason the school is sending out sooooo many packets (I received them too. I know they send a lot) is b/c they want to continue that upward trend. They are personal and show applicants that they really want them. You call it "practically begging," I call it hard work.

I didn't know that your friends from Cornell were the authority on Brooklyn's applicant pool. From what I've heard around campus, the number is significantly higher, but I won't say what that number is since it is just hearsay. I don't think Admissions has published the official numbers yet, but they should be available online soon, if they aren't already. In simply talking to people around campus, it seems that Brooklyn has stolen a lot of students from Cardozo. One reason (aside from those of my previous post) is that Brooklyn gives nearly 50% of its entering class some form of scholarship. And at this year's awards ceremony, they said that they expect to give even more next year. My roommate only got into the part-time program & he got a 162 on his LSAT (didn't have a bad GPA either... like a 3.3 or 3.4). So I don't think I'm gonna place too much faith in your stats.

I'm not even going to bother replying to the idea that Cardozo is better because they teach theory rather than practicality. You sure that's supposed to be a compliment to Cardozo? Neither is in the Top 14. If you aren't somewhere in there (generally even just in the top 3 or 4), you have virtually no shot at academia. I think Cardozo's lofty hopes shows its LACK of practicality. Maybe it ought to prepare its students for the real world.

Sadly, all you've got left is the line from My Cousin Vinnie. Good one, slugger. I guess you take EVERYTHING you see in the movies literally. Anyway, I don't have much of a vested interest in anything you guys are reading on here. Sure, it would help me when I look for a job to have seen the school continue to recruit good students and rise in the rankings. However, the 1 or 2 kids that my posts convince to check out the school won't make a difference in the long-run. The reason I am defending my school so vehemently is that I really love it here. I love how personable the administration is, I love my fellow classmates, I love the neighborhood, I sure as hell love my scholarship, I love the apartment building... the list goes on & on. It's a great place to be and that's why I encourage people to come here. I never applied to Cardozo, but I certainly could have got in (considering I got into much higher ranked schools & have a hefty scholarship at Brooklyn). But, I haven't regretted it for a second. I'm happy where I am and I think that if you disegard the ignorant posts on this message board & check out the school for yourself, you'll see what I mean..... Wow, I gave that idiotic post much more attention than it deserved. Oh well, back to work!

yea brooklyn's reputation is so great that they have to mass mail and practically beg people to apply... i would take cardozo over brooklyn any day..

look at cardozo's faculty - you'll be impressed with some of the names you will find.. and they are actually ranked top 5 in US News for IP law and for arbitration.. cardozo IS on the rise - last year kids that went to Brooklyn had about a 160 avg from my school (cornell), while Cardozo kids had a 164 with a higher GPA.. they are attracting higher quality applicants which will result in higher ranking, which will result in a better reputation..

Read top-law-schools.com:  Cardozo teaches theory, while brooklyn law teaches practical law.. which way do you think top school teach law?

plus would you really want to go to a school that the lawyer in My Cousin Vinnie went to (presumably the producers made him go to Brooklyn Law to show his inapptitude)?

yes brooklyn law has been around for a 100 years and im sure more lawyers and judges recognize it... but what do they recognize it for? For being a bad school?
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

as436

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 01:22:29 PM »
insecure much?

just to clear it up, when i mentioned the stats, i wasnt talking about "my friends at Cornell," I am talking about action reports from last year - thats averages from the hundreds of applicants from my school

when i talked about teaching for theory, it does not necessarily mean that it benefits only those trying to go into academia... thats how top school teach, and I believe Cardozo will soon be among the top..

as far as vested interest... im sorry that you are so insecure about your school that you waste your time posting here instead of studying for an exam.. im posting cuz im bored.. quite frankly i wouldnt go to either school.. finding employment in the NYC would be rough, as you will be competiting against the huge NYU and Columbia graduate classes as well as Fordham's grads.. but aside from the nice living arrangements that Brooklyn offers, I don't see a reason to pick vinnie's school over Cardozo. 

ann arbor or palo alto next year.. cu in school biatches

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=as436

http://cornell.facebook.com/profile.php?id=403139 - send me a message if you are going to UMich next year

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 01:39:18 AM »
alan dershowitz, in one of his books, once responded to the harvard vs yale question as one of practical (harvard) vs theory (yale) "..and at the end of the day, the harvard student solves your problem for you."

Guess what? No-one trashes harvard as a vocational school...and most cardozo students practice rule-driven law, not theory, so get off your high horse abourt cardozo as some  city on a hill ethereal law school.
It is not.

As to Cousin Vinny, if you'd pay attention (ADD anyone?) you'd hear that he attended a (fictional)brooklyn ACADEMY  of law. Then again, youve probably eliminated harvard as a quality school after legally blond 1 and 2 came out...

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 08:27:21 AM »

Truth. It is really not even close if you speak with BIGLAW lawyers in Manhatten.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 09:47:12 AM »
Brooklyn has gotten where it is after 100 years; Cardozo has gotten to the same spot after what, 25?

Brooklyn Heights is nice but there's nothing like the Village.

To a lot of people, "Brooklyn" is synonymous with blue collar guys named Vinnie.  Misleading, but it's a fact of life that a Brooklyn grad has to bear his whole career.

Brooklyn gives out plenty of scholarships, but so does Cardozo.

So, while Brooklyn has its merits (eloquently laid out by the BLS poster), I'd go with 'dozo.
Penn Law Class of '09