Law School Discussion

Brooklyn v. Cardozo

as436

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brooklyn v. Cardozo
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 06:41:05 PM »
alan dershowitz, in one of his books, once responded to the harvard vs yale question as one of practical (harvard) vs theory (yale) "..and at the end of the day, the harvard student solves your problem for you."

Guess what? No-one trashes harvard as a vocational school...and most cardozo students practice rule-driven law, not theory, so get off your high horse abourt cardozo as some  city on a hill ethereal law school.
It is not.

As to Cousin Vinny, if you'd pay attention (ADD anyone?) you'd hear that he attended a (fictional)brooklyn ACADEMY  of law. Then again, youve probably eliminated harvard as a quality school after legally blond 1 and 2 came out...

you can't take the comparison between yale and harvard and then apply it to brooklyn/cardozo... harvard, yale and the other top schools primarily teach for theory while second tier and lower schools teach practical law.. thats a fact... whether one approach is more valuable than the other is not the issue.. the issue is which school, brooklyn or dozo, both being on the cusp of top 50 will be a national school... and i believe it will be dozo..

as im getting off my high horse, let me also agree with the previous poster that the cousin vinnie comment was not made to evaluate the merits of a law school, but just to point out how others may perceive a school that you attend... i for one, after 4 years of busting my ass in college and before spending a ridiculous amount of money on a legal education want to make sure that the name of my law school is generally respected... yes my cousin vinnie is not the end all of reputation assessment, but it's an indication of what your peers will think when you say... yea I go to brooklyn law..

tobias

• AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 07:01:25 PM »
I know we talk a lot about biglaw here, but does anyone have an opinion as to which might be the better option for government or public interest work?

as436

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 07:24:42 PM »
it's an indication of what your peers will think when you say... yea I go to brooklyn law..

No one will think any differently if someone says "I go to Cardozo." Most likely, they will say "wtf is that?" after giving you the heimlich and you'll have to hand them an information booklet. This is insane. The schools are identical, and both get little respect in real life. Dozo and Brooklyn kids will be fighting for scraps left behind by the t14 and Fordham, and a few other select schools. They will struggle equally to fend off the ravenous Hofstra, NYLS, and St. Johns strivers. When choosing between the two---follow the money---because job search is gonna be tough.

true.. i wouldnt go to either.. if I get rejected from every other school I would just take a year off and study for LSATs or something... but if money is about the same from both schools i dont know why anyone would choose brooklyn

jbs

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 07:56:28 PM »
1.  i don't take anything alan "chutzpah" dershowitz says seriously; i never trust a plagiarist.

2.  brooklyn and cardozo are probably of the same quality. neither one will give you a heads up over students from the other.

3.  why are (supposed) adults arguing over who's school is better? 

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 08:18:39 PM »
it's an indication of what your peers will think when you say... yea I go to brooklyn law..

No one will think any differently if someone says "I go to Cardozo." Most likely, they will say "wtf is that?" after giving you the heimlich and you'll have to hand them an information booklet. This is insane. The schools are identical, and both get little respect in real life. Dozo and Brooklyn kids will be fighting for scraps left behind by the t14 and Fordham, and a few other select schools. They will struggle equally to fend off the ravenous Hofstra, NYLS, and St. Johns strivers. When choosing between the two---follow the money---because job search is gonna be tough.

i think thats a horrible and ignorant comment to say...i think both schools are respected, esp compared to hofstra, NYLS and st. johns, and actually have aroudn the same average LSAT/GPA as schools that are in less of an urban area (ex. UIUC) just b/c a law school isnt in the top 50 (and they are both just barely not in the top 50) doesnt mean it isnt a great school and well respected. 

i have a good chance of getting into fordham, and like the BLS student that posted here if i get money from dozo or bklyn i would consider choosing one of them over fordham. 

i find it incredibly arrogant of many board members to think that just b/c someone doesnt go to a t25 law school they can't get an amazing job and have a worthwhile career

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 05:50:47 AM »
don't know anything about brooklyn, but i visited cardozo this weekend and wasn't left with a great impression.

basically, security guy wouldn't let me in to look around. so my judgement is based entirely on the external appearance of the building, the appearance of the lobby from the vantage point of the entrance, and the copy of the law student newspaper that i picked up.

the lobby was nice enough but undistinguished. the building was kind of drab. the student newspaper was banal. couldn't even spell the names of the jewish holidays right.

great location, though.