Law School Discussion

extra los?

extra los?
« on: January 03, 2006, 10:37:42 AM »
I have already applied to my schools, but I was wondering could additional letters of rec. be helpful?  I was going to ask a few family friends (one ceo of a publically traded company, one a harvard ls grad, and one an owner of a 100m dollar company) to write me letters, could it help, or would I just be wasting their time?

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: extra los?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:08:14 PM »
If you've only submitted one or two lors so far, I would say go for it provided the potential recommenders are close enough family friends to write a detailed letter.  I can't tell you how many letters I saw in the ug admissions office from senators, congresspeople, even the president and first lady and I imagine they didn't matter much when it was basically "John is a hardworkin kid."  Don't send in all three though, I've heard that more than 3 makes it seem like you're trying to make up for some flaw in your application/background.

A lot depends on your background and scores, though, as well as what schools you're applying to.   

JaimeNina

Re: extra los?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 11:41:39 PM »
It's my understanding that LORs from people other than people who have been your supervisor in an academic/professional situation should really not be sent.  Having a family friend vouch for you isn't much better than having your aunt or friend or doggroomer write you a letter.  Unless they've worked with you/taught you, what can they really say that will have a serious bearing on your admissions qualifications for law school?  That you are a good conversationalist and have impeccable table manners?  That they like your parents?  That you do in fact know someone as successful as them?  I just wouldn't go there.

The only case where I would say to go ahead and do it is if the HLS alum writes you a specific letter for HLS only about how he thinks that you will fit in specifically with the culture on campus.