Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Unique living situation a good topic?  (Read 2198 times)

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
edit
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 01:10:05 PM »
edit

clora

Re: Unique living situation a good topic?
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 05:34:50 PM »
This is not a unique living situation.  Maybe what you made of it was unique.  Try looking for information about the National Association of Cooperative Living (NASCO).  Almost every university in the country has co-ops. 

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 02:35:13 AM »
First of all, for Swifty:

I hate the expression "third-tier toilets".  There are no third-tier toilets.  There are only law schools with lesser reputations than others, for various reasons; some of those reasons are as simple as common elitism. 

Not everyone can get into the top schools, and not everyone has the resources to go if they could.  I'm sure Abe Lincoln would have been happy to have had the opportunity to attend a "third-tier toilet".  I'm not advocating settling for "less" if you have the potential for "more", but I am advocating not being a snob about it.  There are good people out there who will make excellent lawyers and serve their communities well coming out of lower-ranked schools... and I'd rather be around people like them than around snobs.

For Jacy:

It's not a BAD idea for a personal statement, and you know more than anyone else what makes you unique.  You'd probably want to work in the diversity it exposed you to and all those factors you mentioned.  But something else you mentioned caught my attention much more.

You said you're the first to go to college in your family; not a small feat in and of itself.  If I were you, I'd emphasize my determination to overcome my circumstances, and show how I've made my own way.  You can show how law school would fit into your plan to transcend your modest background, and how it would help you in your quest to make a way for others to transcend their modest backgrounds through hard work and determination.  If that is, of course, something you think you could honestly say.  Just an idea, and something that I think would catch a lot of attention.

ZAP

ZAP, I really don't care what you think.  I was commenting on Jacy's PS.  Now get this, I don't even know what a "third tier toilet is", my post was edited by somebody.  If there is a moderator, I hope he/she could clear this up.

As to you Jacy, my post came across to you as pessimistic.  I cannot control that.  although I label myself a realist, I was actually taking an optimistic approach by saying "I know you can do better." I thought that was implied, apparently it was not.   That was the point of my post.  I really do not think it is a good topic, and I know you can do better, you have time, and I know you will.  Unless your stubborness, if you are, makes you stick to your original post just out of spite. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

corleone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 02:46:12 AM »
i wrote my PS about peanutbutter and jelly...... seriously.

mukhia

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 08:49:08 PM »
i wrote my PS about peanutbutter and jelly...... seriously.

May I read it?

mukhia

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2004, 09:15:30 PM »
BTW Jacy, judging from the way you write your other posts on this board, I think you will certainly make this Unique Living Situation topic into an interesting and thought-provoking PS!

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2004, 11:21:11 PM »

I agree with swifty.

Swifty is NOT good at giving advice on PS; he is GREAT at it. I have him read my PS and I am fortunate to have gotten excellent review and comments on it. 

He look at PS not only from his own point of view, but he also put himself in the position of adcoms.  He critically look at my PS and gave very constructive comments and advices.  I like how he critize certain part of my PS(with reasons) and how he praise and reinforce other parts. 

In my own opion (just my opinion), I honestly don't think your "unique" living situation story is "unique" enough and probably won't leave much impression on the readers.  Based on what I have read so far, it's certainly not personal enough and can definately used some advice and re-construction.

Just my 2 cents.