Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Unique living situation a good topic?  (Read 2236 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Unique living situation a good topic?
« on: July 18, 2004, 08:53:26 PM »
edit

mukhia

Re: Unique living situation a good topic?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 09:24:56 PM »
I think it's a great idea for a PS - definitely unique.  I never knew such living situations existed - it sounds so much more interesting and dynamic than your average dorm...sort of like a kibbutz or running your own small country.

NeverForever

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 09:37:02 PM »
I think that's an amazing topic. Especially when you factor in the legal position you held. It shows interest and commitment to the field. I think if you could just expound upon how this experience "shaped your outlook" or "encouraged you to pursue law" then you'd be set. Add a dash of the diversity element and it looks like unique and compelling PS.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 12:27:53 AM »
I must say I am not impressed with your story.  FWIW, I've read about 12 PS's and they were all by far better than the one you propose.  Nothing personal, you asked for advice.  I would scrap it, and start over.  If you pulled out your housemates from a roaring fire, rebuilt the house, then that would be ideal.  However, You didn not do this.  Most of the topics I've read were of the burning fire nature, I do not see that in yours. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

mukhia

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 12:35:49 AM »
Why does everything have to be a roaring fire?  Sometimes a glowing ember is just as good.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 03:36:35 AM »
A glowing ember gets you into a TTT
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 09:32:16 AM »
I must say I am not impressed with your story.  FWIW, I've read about 12 PS's and they were all by far better than the one you propose.  Nothing personal, you asked for advice.  I would scrap it, and start over.  If you pulled out your housemates from a roaring fire, rebuilt the house, then that would be ideal.  However, You didn not do this.  Most of the topics I've read were of the burning fire nature, I do not see that in yours. 

I did ask for the advice, so thanks for the advice that I have no intention of taking.  Unfortunately, I haven't saved anyone from a raging fire, and have lived a healthy, relatively quite life.  I've had my accomplishments, being the first person in my family to graduate college, getting a job in a tough job market last year straight out of school, graduating with honors, etc.  So while you may have read better PS ideas than mine, and you seem to believe that everyone's done dramatic, heroic acts in their life, I'll restate for those that may make the same point as you:  This is one of the most unique things about my background, which is why I chose it, and it was an important part of my life at school.  If I had saved someone from a near fatal situation, of course I'd write about it.  But since I haven't, my options are more limited than the 12 other people's statements you read.

Thanks again for your advice, and imho, you've proven yourself again to be a pessimist.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 10:14:23 AM »
I agree with you Jacy...I would not take Swifty's advice either. It is not constructive in any way. Pessimistic, is a nice word for it...

I think your PS idea sounds good, your living situation was very interesting and it helped mold you into who you are and why you want to practice law.

Not everyone gets to pull a child from a burning building before it hits the ground. I guess Swifty knows 12 people who are like living super heroes or 12 people who are able to fabricate stories to make their PS look great.

Good luck Jacy :)
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 02:12:33 PM »
Maybe Swifty was a little too harsh, but his point should be considered.  Think of it this way:  many, MANY students have unique and unusual living arrangements in college.  For instance, if you consider a person living in a fraternity or sorority, that person will face a number of challenging and unique situations as well, arguably just as interesting and difficult as yours.  But I don't think many would advise that person to write a PS detailing how living in a frat/sorority has taught them life lessons (even though it probably did).  So just make sure to really consider if your living situation is truly unique enough to make it stand out from most.

I will say, though, that I went to Berkeley and have known many people living in co-ops (one was even in a clothing optional one...).  Perhaps that is why the story does not seem so unusual to me.  However, you definitely know how to write well and have effectively presented your situation in a very interesting way.  I think you could go with it and be fine, but I just don't know if it will give you the extra something you might need if you are on the borderline for admissions.

Good luck.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 02:22:57 PM »
Thanks for the input calguy!