Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Volunteering  (Read 723 times)

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Volunteering
« on: July 18, 2004, 08:51:55 PM »
I just began volunteering this week for the March of Dimes in Tucson.  I did not do this to help my application, but because I am out of school, and I finally have the time to volunteer.  What I was wondering is whether or not I should put this volunteer job on my resume for my apps.  I don't want it to look like I did this for the wrong reason.  What do you guys think?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteering
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 08:57:03 PM »
Hrm...tough question.  Did you have a relative full plate in school?  Did you take a large courseload or have a couple of other ECs?

If your resume and transcript show that you were relatively busy in school, then I would go ahead and put the volunteer work on your resume, since I would hope an adcom could see that you now have fewer time constraints, and after work, or whatever it is you're doing now to fill the days, you still want to use your time productively.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 09:00:41 PM »
I had a normal courseload, and few EC's.  I worked in a NASA lab for one year and was a teaching assistant/tutor for another.  My time was taken up by taking care of my brother.  I am leaning toward not mentioning it unless it is one of the apps (Northwestern I think) that specifically ask what I have been doing since I have been out of school.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 09:07:07 PM »
Hrm, i'd say then, especially since you're concerned about it, to leave it off unless it can come in as an answer to a specific question, like Northwestern, and a couple of other schools I've seen.  Or, if they ask specifically if you've done any volunteer/community service work.

Generally, I'd say if it's something "optional" and you're feeling unsure about it, omit it and save yourself the concern.  But that's just what I'd do in your situation.

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 11:19:15 PM »
I'd include it.(then again, that's all I have) Many schools are looking for "Community Service" in the app. University of Colorado is one of them.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 12:13:43 AM »
Does court ordered cummunity service count?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 03:04:44 PM »
 :P ::)

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
edit
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 03:09:11 PM »
edit

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 08:52:12 PM »
Well... if you're looking to go to law school a year from now, now's a real suspicious time to be starting from the perspective of a law school admissions officer.  I take you at your word, you seem like a decent enough fellow, and I doubt you're just trying to pad the ol' resume.  But you have to look at it like they will, and from that perspective, I'd tend toward leaving it off... unless you can explain to them really well why you didn't start until recently.  In that case, I might do that, but make it real convincing.  But it's one or the other... either explain it well or take it off.

Just my 2 cents.

ZAP

Yeah, I know that it looks suspicious, and I have decided to leave it off.  However, the fact is, I am doing it because I wanted to do some volunteer work.  I used to do quite a bit of volunteer work before I started college, and I did not do any during college because I had othe jobs/internships/responsibilities beyond class.  Right now, out of school for the next year, I don't.  I am spending my time working part time at a record store, and I am not going to look for a real job because in December, when my girlfriend graduates and our lease runs out, we are leaving Tucson to live with my family for six or seven months until I move off to I-have-no-idea-where for law school.  Also, I frankly don't need the money.  I just wanted to spend the next year doing something productive with my time but also something that I enjoy.