Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attitudes towards gays in law school  (Read 4189 times)

JiggityJig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Attitudes towards gays in law school
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2004, 11:10:39 AM »
woodsstephene, I'm sorry this thread got off on the stupid, ignorant foot.  To be fair, I have seen relatively calm, rational discussion of LGBT issues on LSD in the past.

I think one thing you might consider is tracking down the LGBT student group at the schools you're considering (I'm not big into joining groups, but I'd have to say that if they don't have one, probably not a good sign) and asking if a student or two would be willing to talk to you about the on-campus atmosphere.

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2004, 11:56:11 AM »
To give you some sort of starting point, I would suggest looking at schools in the northeast or west coast in larger cities.  DC, Philly, NY, Boston, and pretty much anywere in Cali, Oregon, or Washington.  I would also avoid schools with a religious base (Vllanova, BC, Fordham, etc.)  While I know the law schools don't tend to be as religion-happy as the undergrad institution, they still have some influence.  Most of the students you encounter here will be enlightened and fairly liberal in their political leanings.  While this in no way guarantees tolerence, it makes it more likely.  Definatly talk to students in whatever sort of support group they have. 
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2004, 12:20:45 PM »
[...]I would also avoid schools with a religious base (Vllanova, BC, Fordham, etc.)  While I know the law schools don't tend to be as religion-happy as the undergrad institution, they still have some influence.  [...]

Add Regent to that list of those to avoid, then.  Pat Robertson = Scary!  ;)
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

Wescline

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2004, 04:21:05 PM »
Yeah, any college that requires a letter of rec from your pastor/priest and you must sign a Morality Covenant is a scary larry! I am all about faith but not oppresive, gay-hating, abortion doctor killing religion. That is beyond the pale.

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2004, 04:38:48 PM »
I know there are glbt student groups at U of Houston and South Texas College of Law.  Of course, Houston is a large city with a hugely diverse population, so I would expect nothing less...
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie

tj60

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2004, 04:57:44 PM »
Hey woodsstephene,

I came out in my PS and got into Cardozo, BC, and Fordham. I'm not sure if you're fixed on NY schools, but you might also want to try Northeastern in Boston. They have lots of LGBT students and faculty. BU also places well in NYC, and that's where I'm going. With your numbers, I defintiely think you should try for Cardozo. As far as DC goes, have you considered American? Again, I got accepted there, and it may be within reach for you.

Cheers and good luck, Tim

NorthwoodV

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2004, 05:19:48 PM »
USF seems like the most logical choice.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2004, 08:23:41 PM »
I didn't know this was such a big deal.  Forgive me for my ignorance in asking why this is such a hot topic now?  Haven't gays been going to law school since the ABA was invented?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2004, 09:36:34 PM »
I think you should go to the most anti-gay biblically dumbfounded school you can find.  Those fuckers need you.

And by the way, I was reading the bible last night and it said that Jesus loved to suck male private part, but not as much as he liked shagging sheep. Oh my shepherd!
it's coming...

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2004, 09:41:30 PM »
Hofstra Law School has a scholarship set aside specifically for supporting gay activism.  I would think that indicates a very accepting school

Rachel
qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo