Law School Discussion

Stencilasnusky

Re: Pre-law Questions
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 01:47:30 PM »
Not to be like that homie, but it's on the LSAC site. I don't have time to look it up but expect to come off at least 2 bills to register for the LSAT and LSDAS.

www.lsac.org

Why don't you write the letter yourself, pass it to them and let them edit it?

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 02:10:37 PM »
my advice to ppl is read the rec before you have lsac send it out, if you don't feel comfortable asking this then just ask for an extra "just in case copy" you'd be surprised what ppl will write, i saved myself twice by doing this and each time the person writing for me was a dean....you really never know

actually, this usually isn't possible -- the whole point of the recommendation process is that you don't have lots of control over what the professors say about you, other than your suggestions for what you think schools want to hear. the letters are supposed to be sent directly to lsac, or given to you in an envelope signed across the seal. i'm sure part of this is to prevent fraud, but it also seems to be organized this way to encourage professors to be candid. if someone writes something totally off-base about you, you may have made a poor choice of recommender.

one professor i asked to write for me, after telling me he'd be glad to, gave me a piece of advice: before asking your professor to write the letter, first ask if they think they can write well for you. he said he had many times been asked for letters by students about whom he didn't have many wonderful things to say.

I agree. I think that asking to see the letter violates the spirit of the agreement that you sign with LSAC. The best thing to do is to ask your letter writers do they think they can write well about you. I would think that most people would be honest if they felt they could not.

team mvp

• Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 02:29:58 PM »

Do senior ug grades matter? They don't really affect admission that much do they?

They could possibly not matter, for example if you apply AND get in somewhere ED or you apply to every school EA and get in and/or rejected from everywhere.  However, if you happen to get deferred or waitlisted somewhere or apply regular decision chances are your senior grades will def matter.  Most if not all schools expect you to send in an updated transcript.