Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: <redacted>  (Read 1141 times)

cyberrev

<redacted>
« on: January 02, 2006, 01:10:36 PM »
<redacted>

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Legitimate shot at success?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 03:02:54 PM »
From my own experience, GPA and LSAT seem to be the big weed-out, and then come the soft factors. You're rich in the soft factors, but a bit weak on the numbers in terms of undergrad GPA and LSAT.

Seems like the schools you've applied to are a good range, at least based on the Boston College thing. If there's a couple stretch schools you're interested in, you might give them a try.

As for a job, I've heard that begin a non-trad student can be an asset (I'm hoping it is, anyway) after graduation. Then, and during school, as with anyone else trying to get a job, grades are an initial weed-out there. So, do what you can, especially 1L, to max out those.

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 04:24:31 PM »
You may want to consider applying to regional private schools in addition to the state schools you're applying to. Your numbers may be in line with theirs according to LSAC and ABA data, but the standards sometimes jump significantly when it comes to out-of-state applicants.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 05:42:42 PM »
Another strategy I forgot to mention is transfer. Again, good grades are essential, but I know a few who moved to schools in either different regions or more highly ranked schools in the area.

street_ave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 06:19:31 PM »
Seems like the schools you've applied to are a good range, at least based on the Boston College thing. If there's a couple stretch schools you're interested in, you might give them a try.

what is the "boston college thing"?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 08:49:13 PM »
This thing: http://www.bc.edu/offices/careers/gradschool/law/lawlocator/

I guess they categorize schools by the 25th/75th percentile LSAT and GPA, to give you an idea of where you have the best chances.