Law School Discussion

Desperately needing advice

poiuy

Desperately needing advice
« on: January 02, 2006, 05:33:45 AM »
I know excuses for LSAT performance should be left out of the admissions process BUT I had a lousy score of 155 with a perfect games section.  Should I try to shed light on my strength so that I appear to have atleast one strong area instead of several average areas???

Slow Blues

Re: Desperately needing advice
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 06:52:01 AM »
Well, I'd say no. If you had a perfect games section, then that would mean you are that much more deficient in arguments and reading comprehension, which are the two sections that are most relevant to law school. 155 isn't a lousy score, by the way.

poiuy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 06:57:51 AM »
Thank you for the advice.  I didn't mean to sound rude about the score in any way I was just expressing my disappointment.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 07:40:34 AM »
It's generally accepted that an "excuse" or, more properly, addendum explaining an LSAT score should only be written/submitted if there is a legitimate excuse for why you did poorly.

Things to write an addendum about:

Marching band practice outside your test site.
Proctor screwed up and docked 5 minutes of time by mistake.
You had a legitimate illness (schools may still wonder why you didn't cancel then).
Some event of considerable weight happened in your family that weekend (mother/father died, or had major surgery).

Things not to write an addendum about:
Your girlfriend dumped you.
You get nervous on tests (prep is about NOT getting nervous for that day).
You're just bad at standardized tests (a lot of people who feel this way eventually improve with practice).

thescreed

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 05:22:48 PM »
Well, I'd say no. If you had a perfect games section, then that would mean you are that much more deficient in arguments and reading comprehension, which are the two sections that are most relevant to law school. 155 isn't a lousy score, by the way.

Agreed. The games section is the least relevant to law school skills, which is why the LSAT has been trending toward games sections that are shorter and easier, and toward LR and RC sections that are longer and more difficult.

My bias: I sucked at games, and even with the shorter, easier games section I still blew TWO questions in the games section, even though I thought I aced all the games, and it cost me THREE POINTS. Yes, I am bitter.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 01:24:55 PM »
definately do NOT write this addendum, it doesn't offer anything that would make you "better" than anybody else and being good at games isn't at all a "positive". 

Now, if say, the proctor docked five minutes in each of the other sections and you aced games, then you might have something worth writting about.

Sorry if that sounded harsh, I just really really really don't think you should write an addendum.