Law School Discussion

Addendum for LSAT???

poiuy

Addendum for LSAT???
« on: January 02, 2006, 03:15:12 AM »
I know excuses for LSAT performance should be left out of the applications but would it be ok to point out a strength in the exam if the overall was poor.  I scored 155 but had a perfect games section.  Worth mentioning or not???? 

Re: Addendum for LSAT???
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 03:35:07 AM »
no if anything this will hurt you.

The games while I too was very good at them (hence the name) are basically just analytical puzzles.  It is like saying hey I am very good at puzzles and not so hot at reading and reasoning which law school is all about.  To me the games tell how good of a lawyer you will be (deducting things quickly) where as the other sections tell how good you will be in law school

poiuy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 04:06:01 AM »
Thanks for your advice.

poiuy

2nd Opinions
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 04:56:59 AM »
Any others out there want to voice their opinion.  155 with a perfect game section should it be mentioned??? 

155 is a very average score but stating a perfect section may show that the entire test was not average and I do have a strong area.

Thanks

Mkay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 06:48:34 AM »
I'm with Gameswizard, pointing out a perfect in one section just makes you look weak with the other two.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 08:51:15 AM »
Just to reiterate my point from your other thread on this same subject:

Only write an addendum when there is a specific reason your performance was not so hot.  Don't talk about inherent abilities with this or that, or tendencies to do badly on exams, pressure, nerves, or personal problems that are not (generally) health-related, or related to the health/life/death of either yourself or someone in your family.

Of course you want to say "please, look at the area of the test I *did* do well on, and don't look so close at that section I screwed up" ... um, 95% of all test-takers would want to say that about at least one section they messed up.

Unless a concrete situation can explain, in part, why you scored differently than you believe you should have or could have, don't write an addendum, let your score speak for itself.

My cousin was friends with someone at her LS's undergrad advising center, who helped him/her craft an addendum to explain that he/she scored poorly due to being out of state the weekend of, leading up to the day of the exam due to being with his/her sibling who had major, major surgery.  That's the sort of distraction you can explain.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 11:12:05 AM »
What a perfect game section tells me is that maybe just maybe you should retake the test, not focus as much on the games and boost your score on the other sections.  Of course this didn't work to well for me, but jsia.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 05:33:26 PM »
I definately would not point out anything about the games section.  1. It doesn't matter AT ALL and 2. the games section is not scaled (in other words, lots of people may have done very well on the games section but not done very well at all.  In general I think the paper will get thrown out and adds very little value. It would be something along the lines of saying "I have a C average, but I did well in ever math class I took (whtn you are... say... a philosophy major).