Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I just took my first diagnostic LSAT and scored a 152...I am taking the exam in  (Read 1609 times)

ukprincess1

OCT and have never studied for it at all.  I thought this was pretty good for a first time diagnostic but is it typical.  Also Is it possible to raise scores a lot from this with some studying?

foxnewssucks

The first one I took cold I received a 158.  A month of studying and I had moved up over 10 points.  Still studying now for Oct.

ukprincess1

awesome...that is good to know.  hey fox news doesn't suck hehe

NeverForever

I got a 152 on my first diagnostic and ended up with a 163 after only a month of studying, so you're in good shape.

ukprincess1

thats so good to know.  Now I just need to think about my PS and LOR's which I am so nervous about.  My whole time in college I have only had one PhD prof in my major which really stinks when you need LORs. 

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
You don't need to ask a phd for a LOR.  Adcoms just want someone who knows you academically.  If you developed a close relationship with a TA or an adjunct prof, and you think they could write you a good letter, ask them.  Adcoms would rather see something that really tells them about you than a generic letter from a phd.
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

ukprincess1

that is really good to know.  At least that gives me some options.  Although, one of my teachers I was talking to about this said always get one from a PhD .  He said he would write me one (which I think would be great) but that I would be better off with one from such and such PhD.  Ugh.

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
I used an adjunct who only taught one class a semester for one of my LORs.  He had me read it to make sure it said everything I wanted to say (I know you're not supposed to do this, but who wouldn't if given the chance, seriously?).  It was by far the best LOR I could have hoped for, because he really got to know me and what I believed in, and my academic abilities and downfalls.  I didn't have to ask him to change or add anything.
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

foxnewssucks

ukprincess,  What did you major in?  I didn't know that finding professors who has PhDs was something that might cause difficulty.  I really do not think that the admissions people really care about what degree the person has earned or where it came from.  They are most interested in candid feedback from the individual regarding their interaction with you.  I have read from many places that letters from TAs are even fine.

foxnewssucks

well just remember that the LORs are a very very small part of the application.  It is all about GPA and LSAT score.  So do not worry about it too much.