Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Patterns I've seen  (Read 33576 times)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Patterns I've seen
« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2007, 09:21:33 AM »
Who doesn't write their PS in a funk? You're doing it during app season, you're in a funk.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2007, 02:53:52 PM »
Heh heh...and it'll get harder as the months wear on, for sure...if you think you're stressed now, it gets worse if you're still working on your app in December! The optimal time to send a properly polished essay is in the next 2-4 weeks, if you haven't already.

But you can do some stuff to get those endorphins up...go for a jog or something. Call an old friend who is always ridiculously funny, or read some Calvin & Hobbes. Whatever makes ya crack a smile.

Dani

Who doesn't write their PS in a funk? You're doing it during app season, you're in a funk.
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

Dizzle

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ahhsprewyou
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »
hey guys,

looking for some advice...

I have your typical sad story of how I failed and then achieved, which I'm sure admission offices see everyday. Mine is 100% unique and has really shaped who I am. I'm afraid I am going to come off cliche and will get glazed over. For someone who is already behind the 8-ball a bit, I can't afford that. I will be a unique canidiate so I can I best go about presenting it?

This is probably a cliche question to this thread (oh, irony) but 23 pages is a lot to flip through.

Any feedback or criticism is welcomed.

Illusions, Michael

• I look like text.
    • View Profile
Best PS advice
« Reply #223 on: February 27, 2008, 10:46:16 AM »
Bump! This thread was incredibly helpful to me while writing my PS.  It should not be lost.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 27, 2008, 11:26:21 AM »
1) This is a big numero uno--I'd say 3/4 of the PS's I've read over the last two years have an opening paragraph that starts in childhood--from between ages 5-10. This pattern was so startling in the last batch I read, I wondered if I'd missed the memo to bring up my own childhood (!!).

Mine originally started out as an explorer exiting a spaceship that had just landed on an unfamiliar planet.  Everyone said the metaphor was too abstract, so I changed it.

2) Complaining about parental influence. What's this about? I mean, I feel for anyone whose parents aren't supporting their educational decisions/helping pay--that sucks--but why belittle them directly in the statement? "My parents suck, see?" seems like a weird PS strategy to me.

Parents mentioned only as inspiration.  I cannot believe that anyone would think belittling their parents would in help them.  If you had an extraordinarily tough childhood because of your parents, there are ways to explain this without attacking them.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2008, 11:46:37 AM »

Parents mentioned only as inspiration.  I cannot believe that anyone would think belittling their parents would in help them.  If you had an extraordinarily tough childhood because of your parents, there are ways to explain this without attacking them.

Same here.  My PS concentrated on one parent, but how my relationship with him changed, despite the rocky childhood.  I made it more into how it molded me into the person I am today.  It worked out well for me. 

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
started with a colorful childhood anecdote.  mentioned parental influence once, but i don't think it was belittling.  did not discuss GPA or LSAT.

despite it's common framework, I've gotten a few complements about my PS from adcomms, so I don't think it's a kiss of death if you structure it this way.  in fact, of the PS's I've read, the ones that stuck with me most start out with a specific or colorful story.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 28, 2008, 12:15:04 AM »
I started my PS talking about shaving my legs and driving an 18 wheeler.  Do you think it will catch some Adcomms attention?  think they will remember me?

anyone that wants to read it just PM me, I will take a look at yours as well.
University of Oklahoma '11

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 28, 2008, 10:36:52 AM »
i had a dream last night that michael cera wanted to make out with me but i didn't shave my legs.  maybe i'll submit an addendum...
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

MrSmith

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2008, 04:28:26 PM »
tag.