Law School Discussion

Patterns I've seen

Re: Patterns I've seen
« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2008, 11:55:10 AM »
I wrote my PS about a single event that pretty much stopped me in my tracks. Yes, it's a sob story and yes, it ends with how that event made me want to be a certain type of lawyer. But it wasn't a narritive that started with my childhood. It was about something that happened last year that made me push law school back a year and also made me want to study health law. My first draft I realized focused too much on the event and not enough on the impact of the event on myself. I figured they probably didn't care to read about something that happened to someone else. After several re-dos, I got great feedback from the lawyers I work with. So I think a "this is what made me who I am today" PS is fine as long as it is written well and focuses on you. I think the mistake a lot of people make is they write about how someone impacted their life; but after reading it, a complete stranger would come away knowing your mother, father, priest, neighbor, etc. better than you.

That's my $0.02

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 08, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »
My PS definitely falls into the "why I want to be a lawyer" category. I start with an anecdote that hopefully sheds light on who I am, talk about my last job and how it changed me, then discuss the epiphany that made me want to become a lawyer, followed by clear rationalizations that support my desire, ending finally with a related quote and my own take on it. Suffice to say that this statement's structure is probably typical of the genre, but I'm pretty sure my story stood out, for its uniqueness (and hopefully for its writing).

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2008, 08:32:55 PM »
it's really fun to do a PS version of punk'd and just have some bizarre PS for places you don't honestly believe you have a shot at anyway.

« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2008, 11:52:09 PM »
tag.

GER

« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »
mine is slightly different I guess. My current PS (if I don't start from scratch) starts with an anecdote from the day that I arrived in Canada, then states what motivated / is still motivating me to study abroad, a short paragraph (as in really short) on the why law issue (what I like about law) and then a somewhat personalized paragraph for every school regarding why they are awesome and how my career goals and my personality would be a good match to the respective school. I know this sounds kind of disconnected and unorganized but actually has somewhat of a decent flow so far.