Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How often do you read for pleasure?

Only when I am not overloaded with school reading...which is pretty much never.
 65 (28.8%)
All the time! I make time!
 139 (61.5%)
I don't really like to read.
 22 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 80510 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
What are you reading right now?
« on: December 30, 2005, 09:56:33 PM »
I'm one of those people that reads multiple books at once.  Right now I am reading Why Men Love Bitches by Sherry Argov and Paradise by Toni Morrison
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

orlando jackson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 09:58:48 PM »
i just graduated, so i have plenty of time to read all day.  right now i'm on the rise of theodore roosevelt.  he's the man.

12(e)

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 10:01:12 PM »
Deamons Don't Dream
The Dictionary of Modern English Usage
Euphemisms: 3,000 ways to avoid being rude or giving offense

Sadly, I've just finished the bulk of my new books, so I'll have to go shopping again soon....
your stupid                                                 
My What?

j.rosh

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »
Cute pic Ruskie.  That Why Men Love Bitches sounds like a pretty good read.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 10:07:39 PM »
Cute pic Ruskie.  That Why Men Love Bitches sounds like a pretty good read.

Thanks! How have you been?

It's an okay book.  It's really a tired theme, I think. That Rules book is the same principle.  The female dog book is a little less extreme and is more witty, but is generally nothing that isn't painfully obvious to the non-desperate women out there.  If you're not desparate, you know not to follow the guy around like a lost puppy, call him 28 times a day and give him a pet name on the first date. 

j.rosh

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 10:34:59 PM »
I've been great.  I just picked up Confessions by a Video Vixen but I haven't begun reading it yet-should be interesting.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 10:58:40 PM »
I really wasn't a fan of Morrison's Paradise.  Oprah needs to pick better books. ;)  Right now I just purchased "The World is Flat", "Freakonomics", and "Life of PI".

And yes, I know I'm way behind on reading, but during school it's tough to motivate myself to read for pleasure between the long reading assignments, class, activities/clubs, and my part-time job.

I just started, so I don't have a good sense of the book yet, but it seems to be well written and in line with her usual style and quality.  Without giving away anything about the plot, could you tell me why you didn't like the book?  Have you read her other books and liked any of them?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 11:00:25 PM »
I've been great.  I just picked up Confessions by a Video Vixen but I haven't begun reading it yet-should be interesting.
Yeah, I guess a reader shouldn't expect elevated language from her, but I suspect she more than delivers when it comes to scandal, gossip and sex.  Let me know what you think of it and if you recommend it to others when you're done.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 11:00:43 PM »
I really wasn't a fan of Morrison's Paradise.  Oprah needs to pick better books. ;)  Right now I just purchased "The World is Flat", "Freakonomics", and "Life of PI".

And yes, I know I'm way behind on reading, but during school it's tough to motivate myself to read for pleasure between the long reading assignments, class, activities/clubs, and my part-time job.

World is Flat + Freakonomics are both awesome :)

I have not read the "Life of PI" - let me know if thats any good  8)

Currently reading:   "1776"
HLS '09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 11:16:10 PM »

I just started, so I don't have a good sense of the book yet, but it seems to be well written and in line with her usual style and quality.  Without giving away anything about the plot, could you tell me why you didn't like the book?  Have you read her other books and liked any of them?

No, I'm afraid I haven't read any of her other books.  I just found her style and the story to be subpar.  Needless to say, it isn't the type of book I usually read so that probably had quite a bit to do with it.

World is Flat + Freakonomics are both awesome :)

I have not read the "Life of PI" - let me know if thats any good  8)

Currently reading:   "1776"

I'll let you know -- it might be a while until I get to it though.  I've only heard good things about it.  You'll have to let me know what you think of 1776 once you're finished.

Hmm, I guess it could be a matter of taste, but her style has been universally recognized as deep, unique and culturally relevant in the literary world.  She employs some magical realism in most of her books (don't know if she does in this one, as I haven't gotten far enough into it) and that tends to be a literary technique a lot of people just don't get, don't enjoy or both.  Personally, I think she's amazing.  Paradise, Sula and Jazz are the only three books of hers that I have not read and I picked up all of them at the book store today.