Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How often do you read for pleasure?

Only when I am not overloaded with school reading...which is pretty much never.
 65 (28.8%)
All the time! I make time!
 139 (61.5%)
I don't really like to read.
 22 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 84432 times)

luke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #1090 on: November 10, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »
What trend is that?

psychometric bukkake.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: November 10, 2009, 03:42:28 PM »
What trend is that?

psychometric bukkake.

To each his own as they say. However, it is too bad that books that make empirical claims grounded in scientific methodology and statistical probabilities are seen as "bukkake." I would even wager that you haven't read either.
Of course, this isn't the place for a flame war, so I will just add that I enjoy all kinds of books whether they be nonfiction or fiction. Do you have any good suggestions, luke?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: November 11, 2009, 08:11:21 AM »
what mean, not place flame war?

a-hole.

luke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: November 11, 2009, 02:09:37 PM »
To each his own as they say. However, it is too bad that books that make empirical claims grounded in scientific methodology and statistical probabilities are seen as "bukkake." I would even wager that you haven't read either.

They're not grounded in scientific methodology however broadly you're using the word 'grounded'. Sometimes, as in Pinker's case, certainly, scientists write popular books just to take the piss. Except they're not taking and its not piss.

Do you have any good suggestions, luke?

I do -- Wolf Hall. Terrific book, even better than the hype suggests it is.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: November 11, 2009, 09:26:13 PM »
bring it on, bastards!

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: November 12, 2009, 05:21:27 PM »
They're not grounded in scientific methodology however broadly you're using the word 'grounded'. Sometimes, as in Pinker's case, certainly, scientists write popular books just to take the piss. Except they're not taking and its not piss.

We will have to agree to disagree about this. The application of the scientific method is fairly cut-and-dried, and the furor around these books nearly always came from political and social spheres. The science itself was rarely attacked because the attackers didn't want to legitimate it by having an open discourse about it (though both books have a fair amount of pontificating that is obviously moralistic/ philosophic and lacks scientific proof.) I will say that this thread asked what we were reading now, which is why I mentioned Pinker's book. I agree with the basic concepts of these books but not with all the arguments in them, of course. However, they aren't my books to defend. Anyway, I haven't heard of Hilary Mantel. Perhaps I'll check that out sometime. What I really like is good southern fiction, contemporary and classic: Shelby Foote, Tom Franklin, Barry Hannah, and Faulkner, of course. Fiction prompts in me a response wholly unlike that prompted by nonfiction, and, as such, it will always be closest to my heart. Awe...

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: November 12, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »
faulkner.  hah.  putz!

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 12, 2009, 07:29:22 PM »
faulkner.  hah.  putz!
So, aside from what reading the links on the daily kos website provide, what are you reading?

luke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: November 12, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
good southern fiction, contemporary and classic: Shelby Foote, Tom Franklin, Barry Hannah, and Faulkner, of course.

+ flannery o'connor + walker percy?

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: November 12, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »
Gödel, Escher, Bach
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.