Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How often do you read for pleasure?

Only when I am not overloaded with school reading...which is pretty much never.
 65 (28.8%)
All the time! I make time!
 139 (61.5%)
I don't really like to read.
 22 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 83568 times)

skaiserbrown

Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2006, 04:24:55 AM »
this thread

this needed to be immortalized twice.

:D :D :D :D

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2006, 05:43:57 AM »
Every one of us should try to write one.

I dunno about that. Some of the PS I've had to crit are truly awful. The writer should be banned from any future non-vital writing (e.g. scrawling "help" while stranded on a deserted tropical island).

I know! Some of the PS's I've been sent have been so bad I thought it was a hoax. What the hell is up with that? Of course, I haven't finished my own various statements up yet and am instead procrastinating by discussing Coetzee (of all people) on this board...

Ditto.  Not as bad as many of the first year papers I've edited over the last year, though.  I can't believe some people get into university!

my personal favorites are the ones that sound over-pretentious.  there seem to be a good number of those.

j- ever write something, send it somewhere, be told that it's good, look at it again, and be horrified at how bad it is?

I don't think I've ever written anything that didn't meet this criteria eventually.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

vegemitemama

« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2006, 10:08:25 AM »
I don't think I've ever written anything that didn't meet this criteria eventually.

good, i've heard that it's pretty normal, but i wanted to double check.

Makes me feel better too. 'cause I feel this way about EVERYTHING I've ever written.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2006, 03:30:24 PM »
yeah, i don't mind what i wrote so long as i don't reread it.

when i reread it i get pissed that it sucks so much.

but people routinely tell me that it's excellent, so i get wierded out.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »
The best thing to do is to follow this procedure:

(1) Send a copy to someone close to you that you know generally likes your work.  If the piece passes this first test, proceed to (2).

(2) Revise the piece according to the comments made by (1).  Any comments made by (1) are valid, since they really had to be bothered by something if they were going to even mention it.  You don't have to agree, but at least look at it.  Then proceed to (3).

(3) Send the piece to a critic that you know fairly well, someone intelligent enough to be able to discern your intellectual intentions (or pretensions, if you will), and versed enough in literature to be able to spot general plagiarisms.  Make sure they give you a brutally honest account of their thoughts.  This part takes thicker skin.  Don't butter yourself up before you do it.  Then proceed to (4).

(4) Revise again.  See whether you disagree or agree with comments first; if the latter, edit them.  If you disagree, contact the person (if you think the point may be important).  Then proceed to (5).

(5) Steel yourself and send the piece to the harshest critic you know.  They don't need to be a friend, they just need to be someone who's going to read this for you and tell you exactly what they think.  They don't need to be as knowledgeable as (3), either.  You have to make sure, however, that your piece fits into a genre they generally enjoy reading.  Then proceed to (6).

(6) If you passed the test in (5), the piece is basically good to go.  Make any small revisions noted, and now double-check your grammar (get someone else to do this for you if you're sick of reading it).  Then put this away.  For a while.  As in, a few months at least.

(7) A few months later, take it out again, read it, and make any revisions you see.  This piece is now ready for publication, if you so wished.  Repeating the cycle again, however, wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

You see, after all THAT, you're STILL going to hate your piece a year down the road.  At least now, however, you know others didn't hate it.  That does make me feel better.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

redemption

« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2006, 04:34:04 PM »
That would be good Personal Statement advice, too. Instead, the majority approach seems to be to

1. Write the first thing that comes into your head, and in any order (make sure that there are a lot of blind alleys);
2. Ignore the English language altogether and make up your own argot
3. force-fit "and therefore I want to go to law school and would be an excellent candidate for X school" right at the end
4. Send it out to strangers
5. get pissed when they say "this could use some work"
6. Re-label the same text "draft 2" and send it out to same reviewers
7. Re-label as "Final" and submit.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2006, 04:43:02 PM »
hey! that's what i did!

magnumalv

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2006, 04:49:22 PM »
5. get pissed when they say "this could use some work"
6. Re-label the same text "draft 2" and send it out to same reviewers
7. Re-label as "Final" and submit.

I haven't had to deal with 5-6... probably bc all the PS that have been submitted to me I've REALLY ripped apart, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2. I don't think they'd dare send it back exactly the same. And if they did, I'd just tell them to refer to my previous comments. I'm not about to waste my energy a second time.

dinsosaur junior

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2006, 05:06:37 PM »
It is just tough to edit random lsn essays. They come out of nowhere. as for me, i  was edited my many of my very smart friends, including harvard and stanford law grads. then i asked someone on lsn for a final proof--meaning grammar stuff. i got advice to change the whole thing. okay--perhaps you didn't like the style. but i had asked for a grammar check. Iím done with that.

And why do I get random emails from people asking me to read their essays when I never have offered? I guess itís the same reason why I get emails from random state law schools that I have no interest in applying to,. right?

And Coetzee is great. Disgrace is detached and thatís why itís beautifulósome poster explained it really well. I can see why people donít like it, but itís just so very very different from anything Marquez attempts to be that I see no point in bringing them up together.

I havenít read the posts carefullyólike I said, I am at work. So sorry if I am missing something.

I am reading V. right now, by Pynchon, which is why I decided to post because I like it but often get confused and overwhelmed and feel like giving up. Thatís when I just decide to reread whatever chapter Iíve been on. Anyone read it? Shall I keep going? (Iím halfway)

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - savannah_honey@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2006, 06:23:36 PM »
The worst are people who send ungodly long (one guy sent me 6 single spaced size 9 font pages) PSs, and want me to do all the editing. Though the one person on here who offered to proofread and then told me it was "f-ing G**damn horrible" wasn't much better.

I'm reading "What you wear can change your life" a gift from my mother. Thanks for the intellectual selection, mom. It is a good book, though.
High Priestess of the P-Dub Club

talking dirty to vanna is like... like... hitting on the pope or someting

IU-B grad student, working in corporate America