Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How often do you read for pleasure?

Only when I am not overloaded with school reading...which is pretty much never.
 65 (28.8%)
All the time! I make time!
 139 (61.5%)
I don't really like to read.
 22 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 82002 times)

magnumalv

Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
Every one of us should try to write one.

I dunno about that. Some of the PS I've had to crit are truly awful. The writer should be banned from any future writing excepting the vital variety(e.g., scrawling "help" while stranded on a deserted tropical island).

because smarter people than you showed up.

:-*

:D :D

skaiserbrown

« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2006, 06:40:54 PM »
Bulgakov is a pimp.

The Master and Margarita is my SECOND favoritest book i've read this year.

redemption

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2006, 06:42:39 PM »

I dunno about that. Some of the PS I've had to crit are truly awful. The writer should be banned from any future non-vital writing (e.g. scrawling "help" while stranded on a deserted tropical island).

I know! Some of the PS's I've been sent have been so bad I thought it was a hoax. What the hell is up with that? Of course, I haven't finished my own various statements up yet and am instead procrastinating by discussing Coetzee (of all people) on this board...

redemption

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2006, 06:45:31 PM »
Well, I know you were being a little sarcastic, but I wasn't.  There really is a book in that. 

3L, though?  @#!*, I hope I don't have to wait that long!   :D

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. People who like books are rare. Every one of us should try to write one. I kept on about the "imaginary community" thing because I could tell that you had (ambivalent) feelings about it. You should do it, seriously. Read the German stuff, though, first, if you haven't already.

I've done a bit, but nothing substantial.  Please, suggestions are welcome.  I'm open for reading anything and everything this summer, and especially next year, when I'll have a whole semester to kill all by my lonesome.  I won't be attacking something like this until I've done my research, so please, suggestions, suggestions, suggestions!

;D

Rachel Seiffert - The Dark Room, much better than Bernhard Schlink "The Reader" but the latter is also quite good. I'll try to recall some others and post them as I do. I'm blanking right now.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2006, 06:46:18 PM »
because smarter people than you showed up.

:-*

I'm hoping you're not putting yourself into that category, Mr. My School Doesn't Even Give Out Email Addresses.  Your liking M & M is reason enough for you to be expelled from the Revolution permanently. 

I think it's more likely one person who likes to read interesting novels influenced others to sign up for sparknotes to fit in. 

my school DOES give out emails. i just don't want to be associated with them.

and M&M was a damned good satire, damnit.

behemoth is the baddest assed cat ever.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2006, 06:49:40 PM »
40 signs of rain and 50 degrees below zero, J

;)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2006, 06:50:55 PM »

I dunno about that. Some of the PS I've had to crit are truly awful. The writer should be banned from any future non-vital writing (e.g. scrawling "help" while stranded on a deserted tropical island).

I know! Some of the PS's I've been sent have been so bad I thought it was a hoax. What the hell is up with that? Of course, I haven't finished my own various statements up yet and am instead procrastinating by discussing Coetzee (of all people) on this board...

Ditto.  Not as bad as many of the first year papers I've edited over the last year, though.  I can't believe some people get into university!
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2006, 06:51:43 PM »
which is why it's so fantastic!
 :D

and i didn't have a choice about going there.

they were the only 4 year school willing to take me.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2006, 08:57:09 PM »
i had a 1.65, i'm not that shocked.

SCgrad

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2006, 04:22:00 AM »
this thread