Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Erase Your Undergraduate GPA  (Read 4697 times)

eclaw12

• View Profile
Erase Your Undergraduate GPA
« on: July 18, 2004, 01:44:06 AM »
So, my LSDAS gpa (I roughly calculated it myself) is awful and i realize that it is pretty much impossible for me to get into law school with a 1.8 gpa, no matter how remarkable I do on my LSAT.  Since, I realize that it is impossible at this point in time, I was thinking that I should just start over.

So, my plan is to enroll into college as a Freshman and start from scratch, my UGRAD gpa will be much better, I can take the classes I always wanted to take, and most importantly after the 4 long years are over, I can attend law school since my second degree will be treated as my first degree.

So, can this actually work?  Is there any other way to get into law school with such a low gpa?

. . . Ok, i have definitely caught "obsessive-compulsive lawschool admission's disorder"  >:(

dta

Re: Erase Your Undergraduate GPA
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 01:51:33 AM »
You would have to lie about your previous 4 year degree by not reporting it and you would have to falsely present your second degree as your first degree if you wanted to get out of the first UGPA. Of course, law schools would want you to account for the missing 4 years in your resume when you were actually getting your first degree. You would have to make something up to cover for those 4 years.

That's a whole lot of lying and it seems likely you'd get caught. And it's dishonest.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 02:20:55 AM »
while you are at it, change your name to Ethan Hunt, move to the Caimans and communicate with people by tapes that self destruct in 5 seconds... im just playin, but it seems like a lot to go through, and i find it hard to believe that "NO" law school will accept you with a 1.8 GPA if you totally blow the LSAT out of the water or deliver a killer PS... the most important thing is to not lose hope, keep your energy positive, and keep strudying... youve choosen to enter one of the most highly competitive fields next to being an Astronaut (you could forget about being an astronaut, they train while they are still fetuses), to be part of the elite you need to act elite, so get your *&^% together, Hunt, and hit those books like a red-headed stepchild!!! ...This message will self destruct in five seconds.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 03:32:54 AM »
honestly if I was in your situation, and really wanted to go to law school...I would nail the LSAT...go to a 4th tier...maybe even a low 3rd tier if you're lucky...WORK MY ASS OFF...then transfer. I mean, if you do really well in law school, make it on to law review etc...I dont see why you couldnt make it into the first tier after that.

By the way, how long have you been out of school?? If time isnt too much of an issue, maybe you could work as a paralegal or something for a year or two before you apply to law schools...might help a bit...

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 03:52:01 AM »
You could try Concord School of Law.  It's run by Kaplan, and is an online degree.

They will take anybody.  You don't even have to take the LSAT.

They just had their first graduating class.  6 of 10 passed the bar on the first try.

60% pass rate, that's pretty good for the price.

They even offer fee waivers.  What else could you ask for in a law school?  ;D

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

Felixdcat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 09:10:45 AM »
I feel for you buddy. My GPA is not so hot either
But dont lose heart, you can get into Law School
Dont believe all the hype about "bottom tier" schools, all APA law schools are professional schools that can make great lawyers. Just because you sit next to Dougie Howser at Yale doesnt guarantee YOU will pass the Bar and make a difference, and thats really what its all about.
Besides many of these 4th teir schools are incredibly affordable. Im talking about 5k a year for tuition.
I know a friend who absolutly loves Texas Southern and its professors, and he graduated from Univ of Chicago.

But for the love of god dont go back to school.  First off it will be post graduate work and not appear as UGPA, secondly its a tremendous amount of money just to make a good impression. I would say go to graduate school as a way to hedge your bets to ensure you can work as a professional in the future, irregardless of law school.

If you want to erase a GPA from what I heard you need to work at something important, say Dali Lamma/Pope/POTUS for many years.

nlyang

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • my lsn data
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 03:18:11 AM »
Remember you can always try to address your GPA in an addendum.  Espcially if you have an upward trend or if your school GPA is significantly higher than the LSDAS one. 
Since lying is so risky, I'd just try to do well on the LSAT and address your GPA in a convincing way.

eclaw12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 08:12:49 PM »
Thanks everybody!  Law Snchool admissions is such a complicated issue.  I am going to try and work as a paralegal (like one of you suggested) in the meantime.  But, I hear that they get treated really bad.  Is this true?

BinaryCode

• AOL Instant Messenger - xxmindfieldsxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 02:25:56 AM »
how did you manage a 1.8? what school?

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 10:12:31 AM »
how did you manage a 1.8? what school?

Dude, no need to bring back threads that have been dead for 8 months, especially for such a dumb question