Law School Discussion

My Yale 250 - Have at it

redemption

My Yale 250 - Have at it
« on: December 30, 2005, 12:57:58 PM »

It's a draft, and I have thick skin, so be as frank as you like.....

It feels like the dawn of twentieth century doesn’t it, with all this giddy talk of globalization and the sweet scent of Liberal triumphalism in the air? History has ended again, we are told; the world is flat; and democracy and markets have won out.

International law - stripped of politics, history and culture - is back. Through the modern League of Nations, it establishes confident conventions and trumpets its important declarations even as billions - unaware that they have been emancipated, and they now have rights to dignity, liberty and equality - suffer, mute and alone, out of sight of the corner offices, conference halls and tribunals.

Enlightenment thought is fashionable once more. The best and the brightest, sure in our ability to engineer the world towards greater happiness, study systems, solve equations, and construct proofs. By jet now, rather than by steamship, we travel abroad in ever greater numbers, spreadsheets in hand, spreading this Weberian gospel among the unenlightened. We speak softly, of course, and it is not we but our governments that carry the big sticks.

Having founded international law upon Reason, having seen no point in anchoring it in community, wisdom and love, our predecessors could not have anticipated the moral and physical catastrophes that were to engulf their century. I wonder what our excuse will be?

B.K.

• View Profile
Re: My Yale 250 - Have at it
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 01:04:38 PM »
If you haven't submitted it yet, I would NOT post it online like this. Anyone could take it and submit it as his own, before you, and you'd just be S-O-L. If you know people on this board with whom you feel comfortable/have an established relationship, then PM your essay. I think there was incident in the past with some girl getting her essay stolen here, I forget who it was.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 01:09:56 PM »
If you haven't submitted it yet, I would NOT post it online like this. Anyone could take it and submit it as his own, before you, and you'd just be S-O-L. If you know people on this board with whom you feel comfortable/have an established relationship, then PM your essay. I think there was incident in the past with some girl getting her essay stolen here, I forget who it was.

That would be insane. Who really would do something that stupid?

???

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 01:57:46 PM »
No offense, but I still don't understand why people are trying to sound uber-pretentious in these things. It just comes off sounding phony rather than clever.

jeb240

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 02:01:45 PM »
I cannot argue economics or politics.  I could accuse of pseudo intellectualism, but I fear that without being an intellectual myself, and therefore able to rightly be able to identify another of my brethren, I can hardly say who is and who is not related.

What I *can* say is that the "our" in the 3rd paragraph makes me not want to let you into my law school.

Burhop

• Editor and freelance Writer
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 02:07:49 PM »
I agree, it's a little 'op-ed inflated'--like Molly Ivins mated with Thomas Friedman. There's wee allusions to economics, law, some human-rightsy stuff, and maybe even a shade of cultural relativity...This makes me wonder if it's too broad in scope. Like a lot of academe catchphrases strung together.

Ya, so I guess my response was a wee bit skeptical. I dunno what I'd do with just 250 words, myself.

best of luck, tho!

Dani

B.K.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 02:12:26 PM »
What I *can* say is that the "our" in the 3rd paragraph makes me not want to let you into my law school.

I totally agree with you here, Jason, I was thinking the exact same thing. That "our,"and "we" reference, plus the opening sentence "doesn't it?" makes me question just who the writer considered HIMSELF ( or HERself) to be, and who s/he thinks s/he's addressing. Just kinda weirdly structured.

Also, it kinda comes across as pretentious--what the hell are you REALLY trying to say here? It seems like a lot of cliches and catch phrases all strunh together.

Sorry for being so harsh, but you asked for it. :)

redemption

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 02:14:08 PM »
I DO want harsh. Thank you. I thought it was kind of folksy, myself - which just goes to show how wrong I can be.

jeb240

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 02:19:43 PM »
I DO want harsh. Thank you. I thought it was kind of folksy, myself - which just goes to show how wrong I can be.

It is folksy.  But who are these folks that you're talking to?  Personally I liked the, "doesn't it," but I'm all about informality, which may not be the way to go.

redemption

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 02:26:42 PM »
Yeah, I like informality. That's me, and I don't think that stiffness makes for a good read.

Is it really not clear what I'm trying to say??

Oh, and the "we" is an attempt at being wry, to take the edge off. "They" is criticism, "we" is, maybe, self-criticism.

I'm a girl, btw.