Law School Discussion

challandler

« on: December 29, 2005, 04:23:49 PM »

Re: Campus Visit Tips & Techniques
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 04:37:01 PM »
i think these are some good tips, if only i can get accepted somewhere i can use them.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 05:00:52 PM »
I agree, I have my own list I am working on of typical things to ask, as well as the little things that have, over time, made me resent even Ann Arbor...not that I would turn AA down based on them, but its better going in eyes wide open...good thread!~

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 05:11:51 PM »
Cool thread and awesome tips. Another technique could be eavesdropping on conversations in coffeeshops, libraries, and common areas in the law school. Just listen to what students may say about their professors and anything else they talk about.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 10:23:08 PM »
Oh yes, and 7. Stop in at local bar and see if its greek life or real people...no offense to greek people, but at least at MI they all suck....tho in LS I suppose it doesnt matter too much, unless the campus is crawling with them and they have only 1 decent bar in town...

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 07:12:57 AM »
This is more for housing than anything else, but go visit any apartment complexes you may be interested in around 5:30 to 6 pm. You'll get a good feel for the type of people who actually live there. (I've actually had apartment managers invite me to do that, and when they do, I know they're confident in the people who live there!).

I'd also ask around for the various restaurants and what's good, then I'd make a visit to one of the recommended ones that's not a chain. But eating out is important to me.

Look around for the sorts of stores you like, too. Like bookstores? See what's around. Music? Clothes? Go shopping. See if you'll be crazy. Flip through the local radio stations, too, if you're a radio listener.

Those are fabulous, sensible tips though, and I can't add much.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 01:03:18 PM »
Google Earth your city. I did it for a few, and you can see all of the available things like malls, bars, parks etc etc. Its not perfect, but it helped me pick a potential future bank in Syracuse....

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 02:31:51 PM »
Great thread!

Anyone have any advice on what I should do at a cocktail reception next week?  I am not sure what to do/say (is it like an informal interview?), I just know taking advantage of the open bar is probably not the best idea.

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 02:46:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  Very helpful!

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 04:18:44 PM »
Vapid, I can tell right now that you are going to do very well at interviews.  Best of luck.

For school visits, I would highly suggest asking to speak to someone in a similar situation to yourself.  The schools will be much more willing to accomodate you after you're accepted, and this is time consuming so I would only do it at the schools in your final 2 or 3.  But, if you are a minority, ask to speak to someone in your specific minority group; if you're GLBT, ask to speak to someone similarly situated; if you're an over-privileged WASP, find someone similar, etc.  Then, be prepared with questions that will address your concerns, whatever they may be.  Then, to make sure that the school doesn't have a token in their pocket that is going to sell you a bill of goods, ask that person for someone else in a similar position to speak to.  This should cure the potential for getting a mouthpiece that will just sugarcoat everything - plus, most students recognize the value in having students at their school that are glad and happy to be there, so they will not mislead you.  There is nothing worse, when making a decision this big, than to look back and say "man, I wish I had known."