Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are your soft factors?  (Read 1956 times)

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
What are your soft factors?
« on: December 29, 2005, 12:12:20 PM »
For us non-trad's who work full-time an :-\

*Edit* That stupid smiley cut off the rest of my post, well here it is

As I was saying for us non-trad's who work full-time and have kids, what are you putting as a soft factor.  I'm afraid that my EC's are blank due to me working mostly while in school (ok truth be told, i wasn't interested in joining any organizations in college) and now that I'm out I've been concentrating on working and raising my child.

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
Re: What are your soft factors?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 02:18:35 PM »
Noone wants to share their soft factors, come on people, help your fellow non-trad out. :-*

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 04:55:41 PM »
Besides work experience, soft factors can be tough.  I like to think being a parent is a pretty solid soft factor.  I didn't have much besides that - a few charity bike rides.  I've worked on some political campaigns, but not that I think about it, I'm not sure I ever even mentioned those.  Oh, and my college EC's from 10-15 years ago. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 04:09:40 AM »
ummm...let's see.

career change from corp tech to law.
two years of full-time volunteer work in us and developing world.
loooong time out of UG.

and a kick-ass diversity statement about more personal factors.

is that what you were looking for?

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 09:58:49 AM »
Mine's mostly 10 years WE with the last few years in IT, and some volunteer work: at the zoo, and with animal rescue. Also several years of work on a game which I'm going to spin to online community-building. (I staffed on an online game for several years.)

Some good stuff during undergrad, and three internships, which will be mentioned, but it still happened ten years ago.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 11:14:39 AM »
Couple internships, couple clubs, little bit of travel.

Nothing super impressive. Except that my day job is in a field that it's handy to know about (health insurance).

Danni

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 02:18:32 PM »
I know what you mean about weak soft factors. With a family of 4 (2 kids under 5 and 2, plus husband) living just at teh pverty level, I don't have a lot of time for fluff and EC endeavours. However, these are my meager EC factors.

~volunteer work with the CASA (court appointed special guardians, it's like an unpaid guardian ad litem kinda thing).
~Class coordinator for my church's Deaf Ministry sign language class.
~Member Pi Gamma Mu, honor society for social sciences.
~Dean's list at both the 2 year comm college, and the UG university I'm at.
~Nationally competitive speaker in high school forensics, extemp. speaking.

It's not much, but it'll have to do. Working fulltime, school double fulltime (to consolidate 3 years of UG into 15 months), and trying to raise a family has really limited the amount of extras I can do. Something I know most of you understand all too well!

phooey

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 11:07:12 PM »
Not much here either..the standard work experience, nothing super impressive, but not Burger King either.  High GPA while working and raising a kid..don't know if that counts for anything either.
I've tutored history, ESL, social studies, etc., working now as a conciliator at the local dispute resolution center, worked as a research assistant for a historian at my university last year for the entire year and wrote an article with her, also presented research at the undergraduate research symposium.  That's about it. 

Basically, I did nothing until the last few years when I realized I wanted to go to law school and I better start beefing up my resume.

phooey

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 11:17:31 PM »
Oh, and when I say I did nothing up until the last three years, by "nothing" I mean just working full-time and taking classes at night. No varsity scrapbooking or anything worthwhile like that.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 11:25:49 PM »
I think my soft factors are not too bad-

Initially I worked in IT, but then decided to switch to education after the economy took a turn for the worse.  Had fun at the Dot com though!

Master's Degree in English Education- although the level of challenge that degree presented may not actually be a good thing to have on a resume (yes, I had a 4.0). While in school I wrote continuing dental education courses for dentists and dental hygienists, which I think shows strong writing/research skills but is otherwise not that exciting.

Two years working as an ESL teacher at a public high school in Japan that was one of about 100 Super English Language High Schools- pilot schools designed to improve the nature of English education within Japan by switching the focus from the exam-based grammar/translation method to more interactive methods. I had to create a course curriculum from scratch, present lessons to representatives of various universities, the national board of education, and to textbook companies. Coached some students in speech and debate who won/placed at various regional and national competitions.

I've traveled rather extensively- my last trip was taking the Trans-Mongolian railway from Beijing to Moscow on my way home from Japan.