Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are your soft factors?  (Read 1910 times)

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are your soft factors?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 04:03:35 PM »
Work Experience (graduated in 2000), have been a business analyst for a technology consulting firm since - as a side note, included in my PS is the fact that I didn't study Computer Science undergrad, but could easily compete with these people in the consulting world.  Also included in the PS is the fact that I stayed with it longer than anticipated b/c of the state of the economy (as everyone else was getting laid off and going back to school, I got promoted and raises - it was and will be tough to leave, except for the fact that I'm just not doing what makes me happy.

Life experience - grew up in the middle of a labor strike, studied employment and labor relations undergrad and now want to go into labor law.

EC - I work with a running club and coordinate programs for them, also am a coach in their marathon training program.  I run marathons and race triathlons.(unfortunately didn't write more than that i.e. I get two workouts in a day)

undergrad - GPA went up every year from a 2.7 to 3.7s by senior year (unfortunately, it started off so low that I only finished with a 3.25).

Is it enough?  Probably not to get me into the schools I want to go to considering I'm tied to the DC location and the schools here require some pretty top notch numbers....

thesoftskills

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 04:09:02 PM »
Graduating in three years...started a non-profit organization to serve disadvantaged minority females. Worked 12-15 hrs throughout school...decent gpa...nothing spectacular.

Fidelio

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 09:29:26 PM »
No one must know about me or what I have done! - Norman Bates. 

sofa king

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 10:51:18 AM »
I'm being sued - can I count that as a soft factor?

I'm a reporter and somebody didn't like that I wrote about their civil case. Nothing's innacurate about my reporting, in fact, it makes for boring reading with repetitive "court documents allege..."  "according to court documents..." etc. But the guy thinks I conspired with the people suing him to make him look bad in the press.

cyberrev

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 11:53:59 AM »
author=Considering_Law

*Edit* That stupid smiley cut off the rest of my post, well here it is

control-z will undelete your post if the smiley kills it.  thanks to margee for that bit of advice

hmmm.  my soft factors include 17 years of military experience (now a 'disabled' vet for lod injuries); 10 years teaching at undergrad/grad level, was even a department chair once.  master of divinity with 11 years of ministry experience.  lived overseas 10 years.  2 pages of community service stuff.  worked 60-70 hours per week through both undergrad and grad school.

i suspect the above, plus 3.25 will get me a medium latte.  i'm not sure if it's worth anything, other than to partially explain my gpa and lsat.  57 hours of pass/fail or test out credits doesnt leave a lot of wiggle room to recover from one bad semester when my youngest son was born (emergency c-section); and when you work all day, it's kinda tough to get motivated to study for the lsat, especially when you decide to go to law school the first week of novemeber <lol>

meh, i'll get in somewhere and all will be well.