Law School Discussion

Is a Personal Statement on the topic of RUGBY a good idea?

Is a Personal Statement on the topic of RUGBY a good idea?
« on: December 26, 2005, 09:40:20 PM »
Hey Guys,
   I play rugby for my university and thought it would be interesting to write a personal statement on the topic (how many girls play rugby?). However, after much reflection and research I am beginning to feel that the topic does not adequately portray my intellectual abilities and, therefore, will not prove that I am a worthy candidate to law schools.
   Any ideas?
   Would anyone mind reading it? It's a rough draft and I would be very grateful!

xxx
MoCoChick

Re: Is a Personal Statement on the topic of RUGBY a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:55:21 PM »
If I wrote a personal statement on how we played Shoot the Boot, then - at 3am on a snowy night in December - invented a game in which you competed to see how many drunk people you could push over into the snow....  I honestly think that I would get rejected by every school in the counrty.... except for Cooley.

Open side flanker.  I love rugby, but I've got to vote against it.

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 12:00:58 AM »
Your GPA and LSAT show your intellectual abilities. Your PS is so they can get to know where you're coming from. If rugby is a big part of that then go with it.

As an aside, I asked Bill Bergen at UVA if it's good to be funny in a PS. He said yes if it's appropriate but it's even better when it's in a resume. He said he once had an applicant put rugby team on his resume and for every entry on the resume he listed his accomplishments. For rugby team he put "I survived."

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 12:45:24 AM »
  Haha. Thanks guys.
  Seriously speaking though, I am captain of my university's rugby team and I was able to earn a position on the Oxford University's varsity team when I studied abroad there last year. As a result, I feel that I have a lot to show in my dedication to the sport.
  In addition, I am a sorority girl and most people are shocked by the fact that I play rugby. As a result, I thought it would bring an interesting and unexpected aspect to my application.
  I never intended to expose rugby traditions. :) Does this change your opinion of the topic?
  If anyone else is interested in reading it, please let me know and I can PM it to you.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 04:58:00 AM »
PM it to me-I'd be interested.

On that topic, where do you go to school?

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 09:21:37 AM »
GWU

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 09:35:39 AM »
Thanks so much for the input, eveyone! I have gotten everything back from "I love it" to "I hate it," so I really need more opinions. Anyone else want to give me some feedback? I need to get my GW app in by the end ofthe day.

Burhop

• Editor and freelance Writer
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 03:50:42 PM »
*chuckle* who didn't like it? I've read loads of PS's, and yours is easily one of the best I've seen.

I'd keep it--unique, well-written, memorable, shows commitment--going for a more generic, safe topic will only make you a less memorable candidate. I vote to keep it!

dani

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 01:24:19 AM »
Thanks, Dani! I've redone it again though...I will PM :)

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 03:09:07 AM »
I think it was good-I haven't had time to go through and write specific comments, but I think it avoids a lot of the cliches, which is never a bad thing.