Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice on study regiment  (Read 1660 times)

bluedemon

• View Profile
Advice on study regiment
« on: July 17, 2004, 04:44:29 PM »
Hello:

I would appreciate any advice on preparing for the lsat at home.  I am taking the exam in Feb. and any input as to how long to study before, methods of studying/self-testing, how many prep tests to do, etc...  Anything will be helpful.

Thank you,

Bleudemon

bluedemon

• View Profile
Re: Advice on study regiment
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 04:01:22 AM »
Thanks for all of the great advice everyone! LOL

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 05:07:52 AM »
Your question has been asked a bazillion times, and sometimes people get tired of seeing the same posts over and over again.  Your best bet is to use the "search" function to see posts already made.  You are a newbie here, sometimes people are helpful, sometimes they are not.  depends on the phase of the moon.  The best way around the search function is to make a post, state you tried searching for this and that, and couldn't find it.  Usually one person will post a thread for you to look at.  However I am too lazy to do it because you haven't saif you already searched for it  ;D
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 10:00:04 AM »
Study till your eyeballs dry up and your head rolls off... pick up a bunch of books by PR, Kaplan, Powerscore, Random Authors and just work through them... believe me if we knew the secret to crack the LSAT we wouldnt be on here asking the same questions you are.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 10:24:53 AM »
Trancer's recommendation may seem like unstructured overkill to you at first, but it is not.    By far the best thing you can do is practice these tests on your own, until your eyes dry up like he said, but be sure to sample as many different approaches to the games as possible (Kaplan, Powerscore, PR, etc.). 

KatieManley01

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - katiemanley01@Hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 10:37:49 AM »
Search for book list, book recommendations, best book, etc on the board.  Study with the books that are recommended.  If you have the time to read for a couple hours under studying for the lsat you will know everything that the rest of us now know.
Attending Duke

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 11:04:36 AM »
A good primer for the LSAT is in the Master the LSAT book but i feel it is only useful for people who arent taking a prepclass... also make sure you cough up the green for Powerscore: Logic Game Bible... Master the LSAT has a game section but i think the LGB give you a better way of diagraming and understanding games.  Also drive over to the biggest library in your area, you'ld be surprised but i found a wealth of Princeton Review and Kaplan books there just waiting to be rented... (they are long overdue i am hoarding them).
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 06:06:00 PM »
Get your hands on every official Preptest that you can and do every one of them under strict time conditions.  (Don't cheat!)  If you want to, check out some of those books people talk about on this site.  However, definately do those preptests.  My score went from 165 to 177 by doing 33 of them.

I think swifty was a bit harsh.  Post if you want to, but don't get upset if people don't reply.

LS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 07:33:43 PM »
Kwertee, could you share us how long does it take you to prepare for the LSAT?
how many hours do you invest each day? I think you are just great!

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 08:00:27 PM »
I started on March 10 to study for the June 14 LSAT. For about 2 months, I took 2 Preptests a week.  Then for the last month I took them aproximately every other day, although I crammed in about 1 a day in the last week.  I did not use any other books to study because I don't like using the methods these books teach.  I found it better to learn the test on my terms, so I could understand it my way.  I looked over every wrong answer I got and tried to reason it out on my own.